Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Pooh-Bah Post

[ QUOTE ]
Jake, what were some of the most influential pieces of advice given during the time period you speak of (04-05)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there was a ton of good stuff floating around, but I'll point out two themes that people ought to think about when reading threads here:

1. Poker is situational. This seems obvious, but so many people miss it. Even in limit hold'em, you should be constantly adapting your play to your opponents AND to what has been happening at the table. This is something that Ulysses (now El Diablo) constantly talked about.

2. Posters that sound like they know what they are talking about don't always actually have the right answer. ALWAYS ASK WHY. If the explanation doesn't make sense, then the conclusion may very well be wrong.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a digest of Pooh-Bahs anywhere here?

[/ QUOTE ]

i can put links up in the next digest which will be out this weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Kit,

Thanks for doing the digests. It's a bigger commitment than most realize.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jake, any Golden Oldies in your bookmarks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, my bookmarks are gone. However, many of the most influential threads are linked to in this thread.

And of course, Shania.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jake,

thanks for this; like alot of other former small stakers from '05, i figured you were destined to fade into black and never be heard from again. for some reason i saw this post and found myself perusing the old digests for a couple hours earlier today. good stuff.

it's cool of you to even consider a "pooh bah" post as infrequently as you interact/gain anything from small stakes. thanks for choosing this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

as i have said before, you are one of the biggest contributors in the history of this forum and i greatly appreciate it. i also appreciate your allegiance to your roots and where a good portion of where your poker development came from. good luck in life and whatever future endeavors it may hold for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thanks for the kind words James. I hope you realize that you belong in the "biggest contributors" group as well. You have been the clear leader here in the "Post W. Deranged" period.

[ QUOTE ]

others may have requested it as well, but i'll ask for a landmark(for you) post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well I had some problems using the search function in the archives but here are a few posts I could find:

Punishing Autopilot TAGs - This may be particularly interesting in today's game conditions, though I am not sure exactly how the games are playing right now.

A hand and a hand

The Limp Reraise - An Analysis

[ QUOTE ]

what is the future of online limit hold em? do you think the legislation will ever be reversed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have not been following it very closely but I would not be surprised if it remained murky. Maybe it gets overturned somewhat, maybe it gets tossed back and forth... I kind of doubt it will go back to the way it was within the next couple years though.

I also think bots will continue to get better and continue to be a problem.

[ QUOTE ]

what are you doing these days(school, work, etc.)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Finishing up my degree at Georgetown and then hitting the real world next year. I'm probably going to go the entrepreneur route eventually, but I might take some time to travel next year.

[ QUOTE ]

do you have any ideas or suggestions for the betterment of the forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in general I think there needs to be more theoretical posts and less posts of individual hands (theoretical posts with examples are great, however). It looks like traffic is down quite a bit from what I remember, so I'm not sure how that might affect things. I'll try to think about it some more.

[ QUOTE ]

don't let this poohbah thread be your last post.

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't be. Even if I don't get back into playing, I love thinking about this stuff. I'll pop in now and again.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM

ty!