Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: The Hip-Hop Thread, or Dids\'s Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums

[ QUOTE ]
diddle,

any thoughts on chamillionaire's "ultimate victory" or is that too mainstream for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, its fucing awesome. Industry groupie (the song that samples the final countdown) is sick. If only Gob could be in the music video doing magic tricks..
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
I like TBA a lot, it's about the only Jay-Z album without an overdose of filler.

The fact that Reasonable Doubt didn't make your Top 10 or even your "barely missed the cut" and that you wrote this when it's clearly not true about RD is very puzzling to me. I assume you've heard the album: what's your problem with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, Reasonable Doubt was by far Jay Z's best album and an all time classic. He admitted in an interview that it was his favorite album because he said he had his whole life to make it. The beats are all on point, his flows were filled with complex, witty metaphors that gave a sense of atmosphere and cohesion throughout the whole album that was like watching a good crime movie. People putting the Blueprint or other albums ahead of this I just can't understand. Anyways, the rest of my incomplete list in no particular order:

Raekwon-Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Rapid fire flow, complex lyrics and slang that would weave together crime stories like a novel with vivid imagery, dark sinister original production. You could listen to this album over and over and always hear something new , or finally understand a line or some slang that you werent previously familiar with.

Nas-Ilmmatic sick flow with numerous metaphors that all connected with each other to paint a picture of his life and environment and feelings at the time. Not a single bad song on this album. Perfect timing, rythm and lyrical content. It was Written was also great.

Tupac-Me Against The World His most polished and solid album without any filler tracks. More introspective than just an angry reaction like some of his later albums.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4. Jay-Z, Blueprint
This is the album that got me into Jay-Z, so I still hold it above all his other stuff. And he gives props to Big.

Favorite songs: Hola Hovito, Ain't No Love

2. DMX, Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood
DMX was the first rapper I was ever really into, and then only after he was forced on me in the army. You couldn't find a game of spades or dominos in the barracks without deafeningly loud rap music playing, and DMX was all the rage at the time. Flesh of My Flesh was a brilliant introduction to the genre for me, and even though DMX isn't the best rapper, few albums that I've listened to since in any genre have had as much depth and soul.

Favorite Songs: Ain't No Way, Coming From, Ready to Meet Him

1. Biggie, Ready to Die
Again, this really doesn't need explanation, but Ready to Die is probably my favorite album of all time in any genre. Not only does Biggie lay down some of the best lyrics in the history of rap, but I think he shows remarkable versatility and everything on this album is executed so perfectly.

Favorite songs: Gimme the Loot, Things Done Changed

[/ QUOTE ]

wtffffffffffffffff @ your favorite songs on all 3 of these albums and double wtf @ saying you love dmx but putting flesh of my flesh over its dark.. but mostly wtf @ your favorite tracks

[ QUOTE ]

Victory is mosdef top 5 beats of all time, up there with Who Shot Ya and Grindin'

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 10-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Ok, i have a question and hopefully you guys can help me out. What is the fascination with lil wayne? Last week I got New Orleans Nightmare, Droughts 3&4, and Carter 2 and i just cannot get myself to like this guy, it seems like he pauses between everyword and his rhymes dont hook me into the song. Any suggestions for songs that are good from those albums that might change my mind?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM

I told folks to be on the lookout for Wayne 4 years ago, I felt like he was rounding into shape. He's tightened up his flow, and he spits enough semi-clever metaphors to appease the know-nothings. Hence, he can do a string of guest appearances but he's unable to carry full tracks or weave stories. Some people are turned off by his loping flow, which is more a matter of preference than caliber.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 PM

Can you please explain the different kind of rhyming(flows)?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 PM

well, I would suggest listening to a wide range of respected MCs to understand how they deliver their words, play with syllables, ride beats, etc etc.

It's not simply about speed, it's about cadence, delivery, beat riding, emphasis, rhyme structure etc etc. When people refer to 'flow' as a criterion, it's a phenomenon for which Rakim is largely responsible. The idea of fluidity, breath control, seamlessness.
Most revered MCs have developed distinct styles, and have modified said styles over the span of their careers.

If you listen to a selection ranging from, say:
Rakim
KRS-One
Tupac
Biggie
Nas
Scarface
Andre 3000
Redman
Eminem
Black Thought
Big Punisher
Big L
Pharoahe Monch
Chino XL
Percee P
Slick Rick
Common
Gregg Nice
CL Smooth
Bun B
Q-Tip
LL Cool J
Jadakiss

and so on, you'll get a sense of what I mean.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, I would suggest listening to a wide range of respected MCs to understand how they deliver their words, play with syllables, ride beats, etc etc.

It's not simply about speed, it's about cadence, delivery, beat riding, emphasis, rhyme structure etc etc. When people refer to 'flow' as a criterion, it's a phenomenon for which Rakim is largely responsible. The idea of fluidity, breath control, seamlessness.
Most revered MCs have developed distinct styles, and have modified said styles over the span of their careers.

If you listen to a selection ranging from, say:
Rakim
KRS-One
Tupac
Biggie
Nas
Scarface
Andre 3000
Redman
Eminem
Black Thought
Big Punisher
Big L
Pharoahe Monch
Chino XL
Slick Rick
Common
Gregg Nice
CL Smooth
Bun B

and so on, you'll get a sense of what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I listen to 8 of those
Tupac
Big
Nas
Big P
Big L
Eminem
Scarface
Rakim