Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Moderates sheltering fundamentalists

Ok so , Aquinas and some of the other soaring personages of remote antiquity believed and cultivated their belief in, an omnipotent god, but what about you and other theists?

Does your personal rendering of god come from the bible or is it derived from some other authority or source?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does your personal rendering of god come from the bible or is it derived from some other authority or source?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's largely from personal, subjective experience/interpretation of that experience. I've read a bit widely and christianity seemed "rightest" to me so I chose that (irrationally but I have no better alternative).
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM

I'm just curious bunny... Why can't you just believe in God? Why does there have to be a religion tied to it?

It seems to me, that something happened which caused you to be very sure there is a God. A supreme being that you feel a personal connection with. At the same time, it is also obvious you have a hard time logically defending (to yourself), many aspects of not just Christianity, but many other religions. So why isn't this personal relationship with God enough for you? If you really feel this way then why can't you just trust that God will guide you?

I ask these questions, because I think I've had similar feelings. I've looked around and been completely incredulous about a universe without God. I've been convinced that I've experienced the presence of a higher gentle power.

Of course, I've since concluded that these feelings were little more than my own limitations as a human to comprehend the complexities of existence in an extraordinarily uncomprehending universe. But I know what you mean and I don't see why you need any specific religion to be a member of. In the end, it's between you and God, or you and the universe, or you and whatever else matters. If your heart or your soul is at peace with everything else, why shouldn't you feel the same sense of inner calm for your friends and loved ones? I just don't understand the overwhelming need to attach oneself to a religion.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's largely from personal, subjective experience/interpretation of that experience. I've read a bit widely and christianity seemed "rightest" to me so I chose that (irrationally but I have no better alternative).

[/ QUOTE ]

The disparity beyween what you believe in, and the tenents of Christianity, is grotesque. What about the properties of your God, is he undefined in much the same way John21's is?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The disparity beyween what you believe in, and the tenents of Christianity, is grotesque.

[/ QUOTE ]
It really isnt - I go to the Australian Uniting Church which is one of the mainstream "normal" churches and I fit right in. Christianity in America is very different from Christianity in the rest of the world imo.

[ QUOTE ]
What about the properties of your God, is he undefined in much the same way John21's is?

[/ QUOTE ]
What I mean is the creator of the universe, able to do everything it is possible to do and able to know everything it is possible to know. I also believe he is benevolent though I find degrees of benevolence difficult to comprehend.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:50 AM

Does the reletive nature of terms such as "benevolence" cause any harm to your idea?

Does your conception of god include a human like rationality, or is this not assumed?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the reletive nature of terms such as "benevolence" cause any harm to your idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont understand this question. Any adjective is relative isnt it?

[ QUOTE ]
Does your conception of god include a human like rationality, or is this not assumed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it does.