Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Why did Mason fire Alan Schoonmaker?

Mason has said that 2+2 authors get the biggest royalties as a percentage of sale. How come Lyle Stuart is the publisher of Alan Schoonmaker's book? Did Mason and Alan have a falling out or did Mason think that Alan's book is not worth publishing? I perfectly remember reading several times that Mason only publishes books of very high standard.

I find it odd that Alan Schoonmaker was already with 2+2 yet he is now with someone else.

Mason, can you give us your review of Alan Schoonmaker's book Your Worst Poker Enemy?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Why did Mason fire Alan Schoonmaker?

Considering Mason was the first guest ever on Al's radio show a few weeks ago, I find it hard to believe they had a falling out.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:46 PM

I remember a while back Mason posting that Dr. Al was working on a new book for 2+2. Hmmm.....
Old 05-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Well, he thinks Schoonmaker's Your Worst Poker Enemy sucks then. This is the only possible explanation once you crash out the possibility that they may have had a falling out. Mason pays very high royalties plus he only accepts superior work yet Schoonmaker's new book is published by someone else.

But I won't make any conclusions until after I have read Mason's review.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I won't make any conclusions until after I have read Mason's review.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about after reading it yourself?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:17 PM

I read it, I thought it was great. Easily the best of the few psychology oriented poker books out there.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:07 AM

They definitely didn't have a falling out. Alan still regularly writes for the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine.

I know that Mason is basically overloaded with book projects. 2+2 just published the stoxtrader/zobags book. There's also the Flynn/Mehta/Miller no-limit book, the Zee limit book, the SnG book, the next Harrington book, and other issues. There's a limit to how many projects can be taken on.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:23 AM

Hi Everyone:

[ QUOTE ]
I know that Mason is basically overloaded with book projects. 2+2 just published the stoxtrader/zobags book. There's also the Flynn/Mehta/Miller no-limit book, the Zee limit book, the SnG book, the next Harrington book, and other issues. There's a limit to how many projects can be taken on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the Flynn/Mehta/Miller no-limit book will be two volumes, the Harrington cash game book will be two and possibly three volumes, Bill and Dan are also talking about doing a couple of books on a different subject, David is talking about doing more books, and we spend a great deal of time on each manuscript. I am now telling those who want us to look at potential book projects that it's unlikely we could even get to them for at least a year.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

Actually the Flynn/Mehta/Miller no-limit book will be two volumes, the Harrington cash game book will be two and possibly three volumes, Bill and Dan are also talking about doing a couple of books on a different subject, David is talking about doing more books, and we spend a great deal of time on each manuscript. I am now telling those who want us to look at potential book projects that it's unlikely we could even get to them for at least a year.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

So is this the reason you did not publish "Your Worst Enemy"? Have you read it?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 AM

>> Bill and Dan are also talking about doing a couple of books on a different >> subject

What subject?