Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 07:00 AM

Default 2NL: AA unimproved against unkown

Here I got a hand that makes me think. I post it because I always have trouble in these spots. This is my 4th hand at the table and how could it be I never played against villain before.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.01/$0.02 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $4.27
BB: $3.40
UTG: $3.67
MP: $0.64
Hero (CO): $4.97
BTN: $1.55

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, MP calls $0.02, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.10</font>, 2 folds, BB calls $0.08, MP calls $0.08

<font color="blue">Since it's just 6handed i raise the usual 4bb+1 here. Might raise more on full tables with more limpers, just because people call sooo much here once they put money on the table and I like this to take down right now or better play headsup. </font>

Flop: ($0.31) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $0.20</font>, MP folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.60</font>, BB calls $0.40
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to BB

<font color="blue">And this is what I mean "spots I have trouble" in one word: overpairs. First impression is that I could be easily ahead of the average 2NL players range most of the time. I see people calling such raises with KT+,Ax,22+ and thelike. Since MP folded I decided to raise to hopefully take it down right now or decide on the Turn how to go on.</font>

Turn: ($1.51) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1.40</font>, BB calls $1.40

<font color="blue">This was probably a blank. So I keep up my agression, even with just one pair.</font>

River: ($4.31) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

<font color="blue">After the hand I thought this would have been standard push, just because of the remaining stack he had. But the T scared such a hell out of me I checked behind.</font>

Pot Size: $4.31 ($0.20 Rake)

Comments on any streets welcome.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 AM

Default Re: 2NL: AA unimproved against unkown

shove the river, its not even close

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to raise to hopefully take it down right now

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf no, you want a lot going in, you don't want to take it down right now
Old 07-21-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Close? What do you mean by that?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to raise to hopefully take it down right now

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf no, you want a lot going in, you don't want to take it down right now

[/ QUOTE ]

But after all I still got just one pair. A strong pair, no question, but it's just a pair. Even if the board is not that drawy I see at least two pair or a set here against me. Things change a bit on the Turn, of course.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He means you're way ahead of the hands villain might have here.

[ QUOTE ]
But after all I still got just one pair. A strong pair, no question, but it's just a pair. Even if the board is not that drawy I see at least two pair or a set here against me. Things change a bit on the Turn, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got an overpair, which is good enough to stack off for 100bb at nl2 most of the time.
I also doubt villain has 2 pair or a set here, I assume he has a king of some sorts. 2 pair or a set would raise you somewhere unless he's a huge donkey.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:39 PM

BB has 1.3 left in a 4.3 pot. Just put him in. If he had more, you could check behind, but this is safe enough to get the extra value.
Flop and turn look fine. I want him to call though.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what I mean is checking the river is a major mistake, like 25BB+ type mistake

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its a level where players stackoff with any pair, an overpair is a monster
Old 07-22-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what I mean is checking the river is a major mistake, like 25BB+ type mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, as I said that's an insight I got myselfe after reading the hand again. It was a scared reflex to check behind there, because of the card and the action.

Sometimes I feel I have this scared little boy in me to take over the command. Maybe even a scared little girl!? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its a level where players stackoff with any pair, an overpair is a monster

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. Of course I saw people stacking off with their pair hands, but it never looked that regular to me.

What I believe to see much more is like aces and kings that make their second pair when this harmless looking 3 falls and this is what makes overpairs a bit insecure for me.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I believe to see much more is like aces and kings that make their second pair when this harmless looking 3 falls and this is what makes overpairs a bit insecure for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. Especially during weekends, with the huge number of casual gamers, this seems more like a norm than an anomaly. People will call big bets, even raises with A4o. Basically, it seems like for them any hand with an ace or king in it is worth playing a big pot.

I'm a relatively new player and I've just begun to adjust to this change of attitude during weekends. But basically any time I'm in a pot with a decent ace (T+ kicker), raise pre-flop, and a limper calls, I expect to see a naked A/K. So if I hit my top pair and two small cards flop as well, I fully expect to be up against two pair. A min-raise against my bet on flop practically confirms it.

Naturally, on those rare occasions when I hit the top two at the same time, I'll be happy to play for stacks.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree fully.

What you've got to consider here is that villian only has around $1.30 remaining by the river and with the pot being nearly 3 times his stack he knows your calling a push with the majority of your preriver betting range. Therefore if he had you beat he'd push the river knowing you cant fold getting 4/1.

So his check pretty much tells you your aces are good.

imo