Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: OT: Does your arrogance hurt your results?

[ QUOTE ]
I've won the toughest sng of all-time and have won every 2k+ sng I've ever played in. I'm pretty sure the only game selection anyone needs is making sure that I'm not at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Toughest SNG of all-time? Sorry bro, hate to break it to ya but those were just a bunch of cash game donks you were playing against.... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2007, 02:22 AM

OP,

I'm too good for anything to hurt my results.

Yugoslav
Old 05-18-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yea pudge got it, just to clarify, it's 70% rakeback for the first 200k, 55% after that (using 110k for aston martin value)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to split hairs, but I've been harping on that for awhile (to myself at least) - I don't know if the Aston Martin really translates to $110k. That's about the MSRP, but how much is someone going to pay you for it, what transaction costs are involved in the sale (not just $$ but time spent, and the risk of there being some disupte and time/costs eminating from that). If you're going to drive it, you're paying a ton in insurance, service, etc., etc. so while the sticker price is $110k, unless you were about to buy one anyway, I don't know if it quite translates. But yeah, nit-or-non-nit, it's still a lot of value. But $$ RB still has greater value than product market-value IMO, how much more, I guess it depends on the person.

Of course, I'm considering being a total [censored] and using FPPs to get some kind of car without even having ever bought a house, but I'm ~50% white trash, so it's okay (and in the Bay Area, in a lot of ways it's better to rent and invest the difference). Now I just need to rent a place with a front-yard lawn to throw the car I have now up on bricks...
Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 AM

I(one of those guys) definitely try to be selective. Unfortunately, the games aren't as soft as they used to be.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:10 AM

the msrp is more like 118-125k depending on the options. I just said 110k to deduct for what you mentioned gramps.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the msrp is more like 118-125k depending on the options. I just said 110k to deduct for what you mentioned gramps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to be a nit about the same thing, but I looked up a used one (only like 1k miles) on ebay with a price of $116k or something.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you choose to play a few games vs. a lot b/c of table selection, or to not play while conditions are not great but still profitable (incl. RB), often you're making less money total, even if you're making more per hour or per table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that at certain times the games are especially tough. I totally get your point that even though your $/tourney goes down, you're still making money. That's assuming you are one of the very very best (which you actually are). But what about every other player besides you and bigjoe?

It comes back to the scenario I initially posted. If there are 9 pros/regs playing, I can guarantee you that some, if not all, of them will lose money at that table, even including SNE rakeback. Why not cut those tables out? The games are getting so unbelievably tough now that you have to try to squeeze every edge possible.

Here are my results just from the $105's (since I've got more data here than anywhere else). I also use a program I wrote that measures every coin flip, the ICM equity if I would've won or lost, the odds that I should win or lose that flip, and therefore an actual $ amount that I got "lucky" or "unlucky". Therefore these results don't have too much to do with luck since I've back-factored that out.
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
# of pros/regs: $/trny $/trny (with 50% rk)
--------------- ------ -------------------
&lt;=1 $13.76 $21.26
2 $14.33 $21.83
3 $2.39 $9.89
4 $2.70 $10.20
5 $1.74 $9.24
6+ -$8.44 -$0.94
</pre><hr />

Unfortunately, the tourneys with just 0, 1, and 2 regs/pros make up 10% of my tourneys. BUT, tourneys with 6+ regs/pros makes up 24% of my tourneys. If I were to cut those out, I would obviously make more money by not losing directly, but also would most likely make more $/trny by being able to spend more time and analysis on the other 80% of tables.

To make a long story short, I just finished my latest code that table profiles for me. It worked sweet in today's session, so I've got my fingers crossed! Perhaps I could distribute it to the top 20-25 players and therefore make sure that only a few of us sit down together (obviously this wouldn't work due to such few tables at the $315s+, perhaps at the $210s, but almost for sure would work at the $105s).

-BK
Old 05-18-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the very base model (sounds like an oxymoron for an Aston), it's listing at $113.2k for the 2007 model on Yahoo Autos, think it was a little less last year. But this what it says in the FPP store after the description of the car:

[ QUOTE ]
Note: This award represents the base price of an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Options, taxes, license and delivery fees are the responsibility of the buyer. This car is only available until December 2007. Please contact PokerStars regarding availability.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I would guess that you can probably cover options with more FPPs me thinks, but the 5 million FPPs probably just gets you the base model, and you're probably going to have to pay $$ on the tax and registration fees as well.

I don't know though, maybe if you pay $500k for the year in rake, Poker Stars would sack up and throw that stuff in. I've heard of them hooking a few people up on stuff before. Regardless (and even irregardless), it's a pretty good deal overall as far as RB goes.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:14 AM

Knowing PS - I wouldn't be surprised if they just throw you the cash instead of the car. Much less hassle for them I'm sure.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

# of pros/regs: $/trny $/trny (with 50% rk)
--------------- ------ -------------------
&lt;=1 $13.76 $21.26
2 $14.33 $21.83
3 $2.39 $9.89
4 $2.70 $10.20
5 $1.74 $9.24
6+ -$8.44 -$0.94

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would your $/tourney go up vs 4 pros?