Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: free Nate

tuq - this man-crush thing is making me blush.

Also, pretty interesting background about your pops. Didn't know.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:45 AM

Hi Bob:

The following is also available to our moderators.

Best wishes,
Mason

Despite my posts to the contrary, he made it very clear that

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore I'm led to conclude that Mason just doesn't care very much about grammar or style.

[/ QUOTE ]
or something similar.

In my responses, I not only pointed out that we do care very much about writing issues, but right at the moment we have two texts which have been significantly delayed because of writing issues and these delays have cost us a fair amount of revenue which will not be recovered (and the authors have lost royalties that will not be recovered). So I don't know how else to answer his criticisms.

Yet he kept on. And eventually when this sort of thing happens, it becomes clear that there is an axe to grind and in his own way he's trying to damage our company. So he's now on vacation.

Normally I'm not the one who bans people and this authority is delegated to Mat Sklansky and through him to the rest of the moderators. So if and when Mat feels it's appropriate to reinstate this poster, it will be his decision. But I suspect his vacation will last at least a few days.

There's also another issue here. Checking my emails, this poster sent me his resume in March of 2006 looking for an editor job. Due to a computer crash where I lost some of my sent emails from my hard disk, I don't have my response to him. But we get these inquiries every now and then and my policy is to politely turn these people down.

Also, the book our critic is so negative towards is a book that was very difficult to edit, and in which our editing work was quite extensive. But unlike the other books I mention, we did make a decision to go with this text and not send it back to the authors for rewriting. We also decided not to bring in a skilled writer, such as an Alan Schoonmaker. These are decisions that we make inside our company and we try to make the best decisions we can given the information we have available. They are also impacted by publishing schedule, perceived sales potential, ease of working with the author(s), impact of the book on the company in general, printing costs, and a host of other issues.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Over and over again he thanked Mason or Ray for their response and also must have said a zillion times how much he enjoys and recommends 2+2's books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that was my impression as well. Clearly the reds were far less professional in that thread.

J
Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

[ QUOTE ]
He put up numerous posts in the thread he started, made his point, ignored our replies and explanations, clearly has some sort axe to grind, and in his own small way was trying to damage the company. So he's now on vacation.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you care or should care, but based upon your statement, reading that thread and the subsequent banning I've lost some respect for you and your company.

I find it absurd that you'd be so thin skinned as to get worked up about the opinion of some grammar nit. If you feel that you put out a great product why do you care what someone else thinks?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bob:

Best wishes,
Mason

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore I'm led to conclude that Mason just doesn't care very much about grammar or style.

[/ QUOTE ]
or something similar.

In my responses, I not only pointed out that we do care very much about writing issues, but right at the moment we have two texts which have been significantly delayed because of writing issues and these delays have cost us a fair amount of revenue which will not be recovered (and the authors have lost royalties that will not be recovered). So I don't know how else to answer his criticisms.

Yet he kept on. And eventually when this sort of thing happens, it becomes clear that there is an axe to grind and in his own way he's trying to damage our company. So he's now on vacation.

Normally I'm not the one who bans people and this authority is delegated to Mat Sklansky and through him to the rest of the moderators. So if and when Mat feels it's appropriate to reinstate this poster, it will be his decision. But I suspect his vacation will last at least a few days.

There's also another issue here. Checking my emails, this poster sent me his resume in March of 2006 looking for an editor job. Due to a computer crash where I lost some of my sent emails from my hard disk, I don't have my response to him. But we get these inquiries every now and then and my policy is to politely turn these people down.

Also, the book our critic is so negative towards is a book that was very difficult to edit, and in which our editing work was quite extensive. But unlike the other books I mention, we did make a decision to go with this text and not send it back to the authors for rewriting. We also decided not to bring in a skilled writer, such as an Alan Schoonmaker. These are decisions that we make inside our company and we try to make the best decisions we can given the information we have available. They are also impacted by publishing schedule, perceived sales potential, ease of working with the author(s), impact of the book on the company in general, printing costs, and a host of other issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always found the line "We choose to disagree" is a good way to end a debate where both sides - um - disagree.

Banning, however, makes you look small and petty.

What his applying for a job has to do with anything, I don't get. This post looks like you're furthering the debate that you've tried to end through the banning.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bob:

Best wishes,
Mason

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
or something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your response to disagreement is banning? In a case where multiple posters share such disagreement?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Slight paranoia?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you're not allowed to deal with the public too much. It's hilarious that a Sklansky is actually the people person.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You put up a forum, expect people to critique your uber secret internal decisions.

J
Old 07-02-2007, 01:01 AM

Mason, I know you don't have the benefit of knowing Nate personally like many of us do, but you couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of his motivations. He doesn't have any axe to grind, nor does he want to hurt 2+2 in any way. He loves this community and genuinely wants the 2+2 brand name to present itself to the public in the most professional way possible. So, he aired his views assertively and defended them without your desired amount of fealty. Get over it.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 AM

Mason,

After reading all these additional posts just do the right thing and unban Nate please. We already have enough drama in our lives - they're called "females".
Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason, I know you don't have the benefit of knowing Nate personally like many of us do, but you couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of his motivations. He doesn't have any axe to grind, nor does he want to hurt 2+2 in any way. He loves this community and genuinely wants the 2+2 brand name to present itself to the public in the most professional way possible. So, he aired his views assertively and defended them without your desired amount of fealty. Get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]
holla
Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 AM

pete - having never met Nate that was the very obvious impression I got as well.

Mason - Thanks for your response although I still disagree with your assessment of Nate's motivations and with your actions. You can just agree to disagree about it and choose to end the debate by locking the thread or by politely asking Nate to cease his criticisms because he has made his point. I believe anning was completely unnecessary and inappropriate.

Again, I also agree with OntarioTory that it is your overreaction that is perhaps causing some damage to your company and that whatever Nate had to say about the grammar would not have been able to cause much damage in the long-run.
Contrarily, perhaps listening more objectively to his criticisms could actually help the company as seemed to be his obvious intent. See Tuq's and Mason55's posts in this thread for more on this.
Closed Thread