Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 11:46 AM

Default EPT Dublin, how do u react to the mistake of the guy

This hand happened at EPT Dublin, just before the dinner break of the day 2. I was chipleader day 1, and was deep during day 2 until I lost a huge pot against villain, who is Simon Munoz a spanish guy sponsored by unibet.
I knew nothing of him before he came to my table, he's on my direct right but still very tough to play (he can float flop/turn to bluff river, stuff like that isnt common in tournaments).
After the huge pot lost against him I have about 80k at 1k/2k/500, and he has more than 250k.

Here is the hand:

He raises in MP to 6k, I repop in the cutoff to 18k with JJ, back to him, he calls.

flop is K94 one club.
He checks and I check behind, I'd do that with AK and he knows that, I'm just trying to control a little bit the size of the pot knowing he wont fire the turn often here.

turn is 9 club.
He asks me how much I got behind, I say 65k and he bets 32.5k
So here I put him on air or draw, I have no idea why he would bet that much with a 9 or a king, so I'm thinking about moving in when I see the floor director doing something. I remove the ipod and I'm told that villain made a string bet, this is not allowed so the bet is 2.5k.
To be honest I just called without thinking here, still i don't think it's a mistake.

River is an ace, not a club.
Villain bets 35k.

I'll post my thinking process later and my decision.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: EPT Dublin, how do u react to the mistake of the guy

what was his reaction when it was ruled that he had string bet?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Why are you trying to control the size of the pot on the flop? There is 44K in the pot and you have 62K left.

The ante seems huge.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm not 100% sure the ante is 500, I don't remember, can't wee see that on the EPT site ?

The flop check wasnt really pot control, it was a little bit of everything, basically I just hate shoving here when I'm only called by a better hand against a player that can stab the pot later.

He was a bit embarassed about the ruling but nothing really noticable (or I missed it).
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM

Friend just told me the ante was prolly 200, sorry about that lol.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you trying to control the size of the pot on the flop? There is 44K in the pot and you have 62K left.

The ante seems huge.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The ante seems huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its dumb to shove here for no value when there is value in checking.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:06 PM

I fold on river. I actually think the key street here is pre flop. If he's decent like you say his range for calling you're 3 bet should be pretty slim. However, a couple hands that could fit into that range are AK, AQ, AJs (i mean hey, it's live.)

If he's got QQ/TT/99 he's normally just as happy as you to get to showdown and rarely bothers turning his hand into a bluff. If he's got TT for example, there's only two hands in your range he can hope to bluff out, JJ/QQ, so most of the time i doubt he bothers.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The ante seems huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its dumb to shove here for no value when there is value in checking.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not saying to push the flop, but it is kind of silly to talk about keeping the pot small when you have 1.5x pot left. Keeping the pot small is an issue with deep money.

I kind of do want to get the money in here on the flop though, because I really don't want to fold this, and don't want to be drawn out on.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:46 PM

As I already said the flop check was to induce a move from him and create some value, I said for pot control but you're right betgo, it has nothing to do with pot control.

I like your reasoning Bond, just to give more informations I'm going to tell you what was the big pot I lost against him earlier.

1k/2k, he raises to 6k, I 18k (160k deep, he covers). Flop AJ2, he check calls 22k, turn 2 he checkraises alllin my 40k bet, I fold. My friend at the table (he was on his right) saw him mucking AJ.

Do you think this hand widen his calling range in the current preflop 3bet ?