Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Weird router issue

Or maybe not weird, and I just don't get it. I have a cable modem connected to a netgear router, which then connects to a desktop. It has been working that way properly for a couple months, then the other day it crapped out. When I reset everything, the router will initially send a strong signal, but after a minute or so it will cut out. Right when it cut out last time I scrolled down to the wireless icon, and the wireless connection is listed as "Access Point," which is not the name of my router, nor any other available routers. After that happens, I can't access my routers signal any more, even though it shows up in the "available networks" screen.

Any ideas? It's not the modem, or the cables, as the modem connects just fine to the desktop.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Weird router issue

I am assuming you have power cycled your router and modem. I guess try hitting the little reset button with a pen to reset it to factory settings and power cycle everything again. When this doesn't work (because it rarely does) go buy a new router.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:10 AM

Have you tried to connect to the router? Reset your router and then type in the default ip for it and check it out. most are 192.168.1.1

Just a random question, but have you been messing with a lot of torrents? Sometimes when I have been uploading/downloading a lot, my router will crap out for a bit.

Have you tried switching router ports? Try power cycling through all the ports. (physical hardware ports, not internal ports)
Old 05-26-2007, 08:49 AM

Tried changing the channel of the router? Only use (assuming you are in the US) 1, 6, or 11 - the rest overlap so 9 is part of 6 and part of 11. Could be interference from something. Also, keep any 2.4 GHz devices away from the router (cordless phone for example).
Old 05-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Router model number please