Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 03:52 PM

Default What\'s your favorite thing to do when a telemarketer calls?

When one of those annoying telemarketers call you, what do you say to them?

I sometimes say "Hello, hello, can you hear me?" I just keep doing that until they hang up or stop talking.

Or, when they ask "Is so-and-so there?" I just respond, "Oh, they died."

Either that or I just hang up on them once I'm sure it's a telemarketer.

Here's a website I found too. Telemarketer Jokes
Old 12-30-2006, 03:57 PM

Default Re: What\'s your favorite thing to do when a telemarketer calls?

Hang up.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:00 PM

Re-Sign up for the do not call list at www.donotcall.gov because apparently my number has expired from the registry.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:03 PM

The Tom Mabe clip is probably in the oldie but goodie category around here now, but worth a listen for the 2 or 3 people who haven't heard it.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:19 PM

i really think it should be very much illegal. what i hate is when you get a call and pick up the phone and its just a recording telling you to go to a website or something. at least with a real person you can dick them around and waste their time and make them feel like [censored] for being a telemarketer, so it can be somewhat satisfying and redeeming.

same thing with spam. i get about nine hundred emails a day from some random name and it just has a bunch of random words and then a virus for me to download. can reply, cant do [censored]. really tans my hide.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Tom Mabe clip is probably in the oldie but goodie category around here now, but worth a listen for the 2 or 3 people who haven't heard it.

[/ QUOTE ]
ROFLMAO
Old 12-30-2006, 04:33 PM

The worst thing that you can do to a telemarketer is act interested and keep them on the phone for a long time without buying anything. Basically anything that keeps them on the line with no resulting sale sucks for them.

Goofy pranks just give them some spice on the job and gives them things to laugh about.

Hanging up is the best thing for them because they immediately forget about you and go on to the next call. It doesn't matter if you curse at them or scream or whatever before you hang up. Once the phone clicks you're history in their mind.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really think it should be very much illegal. what i hate is when you get a call and pick up the phone and its just a recording telling you to go to a website or something. at least with a real person you can dick them around and waste their time and make them feel like [censored] for being a telemarketer, so it can be somewhat satisfying and redeeming.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive worked as a telemarketer and dealt w/ ppl like you. the first couple of times its kinda annoying, but then it just make me feel bad for how un-original the guy in the other end is. most telemarketers dont feel like [censored] when a nit answers, they just laugh at you during coffee breaks.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:43 PM

I used to be a telemarketer for the NRA, and the Republican Party. Strangely enough, the do not call list doesn't apply to either organizations.

for certain lists, we were instructed to talk to only the name on screen, so if someone picked up the phone talking crap, we HUNG UP ON THEM, and reschedule the call for later UNTIL WE TALK WITH THE NAME ON SCREEN.

We would also write down the phone numbers of people who were dicks and call them from cell phones on lunch break and dick them around HARD.

Just hanging up, or saying that the person DIED is your best bet.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:44 PM

I was a telemarketer once...for 3 hours, then I quit. I was in college and needed a job. My university had an ad for a job to call alumni "for info updates". Basically they made it sound like you were applying for a job to call alumni and be sure the school had their correct address and info. Once I got hired and showed up the first day I realized you were calling alumni to ask them to donate money and if they agreed you were to insure you had the correct address and info.

They gave us a script which basically had you asking until they said "NO" at least 5 times. The supervisors walked around the room to be sure you were trying hard enough and following script. After 3 hours of that [censored] I left and never returned.