Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 PM

Default What to do here with AJo.

I have T4200 chips. The guy to my right has T4500. In the last hand he raised, I went all in and he folded. This hand came up:
Blinds 50-100.
I am in the LB with AJo.
MP calls. Button raises to 400.
My turn to act.

This is my ranking of the possible plays to do:
1) Fold, AJo is not that good, I have bad position. I don't like the spot.
2) Reraise to 2000. It is big enough that the opponent knows I am willing to go all in. It works to try to get him to fold. Leaving enough for a big enough bet at the flop for a possible fold after.
3) Going all in. Very risky, but it takes away the "captain"in him if he folds and puts me in a commanding spot at the table with chips and image. The bad part is that I already did an all in in the previous hand and he might call me on tilt with a bigger range, although this might be a positive if he includes KQ, AX or small pairs.
4) Reraising to 1000. This it with the purpose of folding if an all in comes and maybe getting him to fold. I don't like it because after the last play (the previous all in), he might think I look weak and then try an all in to get me to fold.
5) Calling. I put it last place because I hate playing out of position, besides I am not last in acting if I call, since there is a MP player after me who could crank it up again. I don't like the idea of putting in T350 for a bad spot. The advantage is that it doesn't commit many of my chips and if I play well post-flop, I could make it advantageous.

What do you guys think, how would you order the plays? Other possible plays?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:22 PM

Default Re: What to do here with AJo.

I call here. I dump it pretty quick if I miss the flop.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Re: What to do here with AJo.

I'd need to know more about the raiser and what the raiser thinks about the limper. If he'll raise a limper with AXs then maybe your play changes here, but against a typical player I fold. It can't be very +ev even if you all were to just check down, you don't close the action, and you're out of position for the whole hand.

You definitely don't want to commit yourself to the pot here if he's going to push, which even a 2000 chip raise will do. 1000 won't make him fold and since you're OOP it only marginally takes control of the hand. It does keep the pot smaller so you can continuation bet and still fold to a raise, but I don't find continuation bets out of position to work very often. Players love raising position on the flop and they'll think they can move you off of your hand due to the small but not desparate stack you'll have left. I hate being in spots where you technically could bet and still fold, but the only continuation bet that doesn't look weak is an allin (which still looks weak sometimes). Fold and wait for a better spot.
A call is reasonable, but ask yourself what you'll do if you hit an ace and he plays back at you. You need to know he plays bad aces aggressively when he hits and happily go to war, or know that when he pops you he has one of the good ones or two pair so you can fold. When I'm not sure about it I let AJo go here.

1)fold
2)call
---big gap---
3)all-in
4)1500-2000
5)1000