Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Art in Movie Posters

Thank you enrique, I didn't even know that these polish posters existed, but now I'm pretty sure I know where a big chunk of my money is going in the near future. OMFG, they have one for Howard the Duck!

That poster may be better than the movie.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:05 PM

I was talking to a Polish friend I have and he told me that when he grew up he didn't see these posters and judging from the dates on them, it seems as if they were made in the communist times.
It got me thinking about how communism could have been ideal to doing art in posters. Obviously communism is not ideal for most things (including art), but in the case of posters it makes sense, that since nobody is making money out of the movies in communist countries, then the artist can make the poster however he likes without having to think of a business model or how it will sell. Movie posters have to sell a product, get you to watch a movie, but that may not be the case in a communist regime.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've on several occasions very nearly bought some of these, but i seem to remember them being a bit expensive

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, most of them are expensive. The cheap ones are under $30, like "Down by Law" is $24. But many are above $100 and some even make it to $200. "Spartacus" costs $290.