Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 03-27-2007, 01:37 PM

Default PLOT STT - Cold decked or too tight?

At an 11$ PLO8 STT on stars last night, I found myself cold-decked from the 30$ blinds onward. I was at a table where two players were raising any A2 or A3 combination, and another player was calling virtually any raise from the blinds, and calling many raises from late position, and then playing well enough post flop to build a stack. Seemed like anytime I had a limpable hand, there was a raise, or I was utg and too skeert to call or raise. I did get a lot of free looks in the BB, and bricked all of those.

This post isn't meant to be a whine, but I'm looking for a second opinion. Did I fold stuff that I shouldn't have? I'll also mention that by the time the blinds got to 75/150, I was ready to put it all in the middle with any Face/face/low/low combination hand, or any high pair that was capable of making a low, but I didn't even see any of those kinds of hands.

I'm gonna start at the 15/30 blinds, and walk through all the pre-flop folds. Please let me know if you disagree strongly with any of them. This is PLO8, one table.

9 players, blinds are 15/30, my stack is 1480
UTG +2 (utg limps) 2s Jc 5h Qh - Fold
UTG + 1 (utg limps) 7d Kh 6c 5d - Fold
UTG 7h 7d Qh Kh - Fold
BB 6c 7h Th 8c - A raise to 105, reraise to 360 - I fold
SB - 6c 2c 2d 6d - A raise to 120 (4bb) and many callers - I fold
button - Ac Jd 7d Kc - a limper, raise to 120, I fold (too tight???)

Blinds are now 25/50, 8 players remaining, my stack is 1435
CO - 7d As Qc 2c - I call a raise to 150, 3 handed flop is 89K of spades, and I muck the high turn after we all check the flop
CO-1 - Jc Ah 8s 5h - I fold after 1 limper. (Playable for a limp???)
UTG +1 - 7h Qd 4d 6c - Fold
UTG - Kd 4d Th 7h - Fold (but a suited king with a possible low is starting to look sexy)
BB - 6s 4d 8s 7c - A free look, a flopped straight, a profit of 50 chopping w/A2xx.
(Chip stack now 1335)
SB - Jd 8s 2h Ad - 3 limpers, I call, flop is A9K with a flush draw for somebody else, and I go away.
Button - 3s Qd 4s 2d - I limp after 2 others, and collect a tiny pot on a 2972 board.
(chipstack now 1560)

CO - 8c 3s Ts 9c - A raise to 150, I fold.
CO -1 - 3h 5s Ac 9h - 2 folds, then I fold. Would have played with a suited ace, or a better fourth card than the 9. Too tight???
UTG + 1 - Tc 7s 7d Qd - Fold
UTG - 3d 4s Ts Th - Fold (but this hand was looking sexy by the 100 level also)
BB - 5c 3s 4h Ah - Only SB calls, and I check. (Raise better?) Flop is TJ6, and I fold to a PSB.

Blinds are now up to 50/100, chipstack is 1510, 7 players remaining
SB - 4h 4c 2s 8h - raise to 200 - I fold
Button - 9s 2c Qh 8c - 2 callers and I fold
CO - Jd Qc 3c Td - A raise to 200 and I fold. (Is this hand playable for a limp? for a raise?)
CO -1 - Qc 2d 4s 2s - One limper and I fold
UTG +1 - Tc 5h Th 2c - One caller and I fold. (This would have been a sexy hand in late position)
UTG - 2h Qh Qd Kd - I fold. (Too tight???)
BB - 4c Kd 2c Tc - A free look four way, and the flop is AA5, and I fold to a PSB. Too tight?
SB - Jd Js 7c 9s - MP raises to 300, and I fold. (?)
Button - 5c 9c 6c Kd - 2 callers and I fold.
CO - 2s 8d 2c 4s - EP Raise to 300, and I fold.
CO -1 - 8s Td 2c 7s - Two folders and I fold.
UTG +1 - Kc Qs 3s Jc - UTG calls and I fold

Blinds are not up to 75/150, chipstack is 1310, 7 players remaining
UTG - 7c 8d Td 5d - I fold
BB - (player eliminated, so I avoid paying BB)
SB - Th 6h Kc Qh - 2 callers, I call, flop is J57 of diamonds and I'm gone.
Button - 7s Ad 9s 4c - one limper and a raise to 450 - I fold
CO - 5d 5s Tc Jd - 2 folds and I fold. (I would have raised JT56 at this point.)
(Six players remaining)
UTG +1 - Kd 3s Qc Tc - I fold. (Raise and pray??? If I raise, I can count on at least one caller here.)
UTG - Kd As 8h 9h - I fold (Raise and pray???)
BB - 5h Jh 2c Th - 4 callers a free look at 89T flop, an Ace turn, a 5 river and I fold to a bet.
SB - Qh Qd 6h 3h (Chipstack - 1010) - 2 callers and I call. (Should I have pushed?)

Chipstack is 860 - still 6 players
Button - 6s 7s 5c 2d - 1 caller and I fold. (push here?)
CO - 2c 2d 5d Jh - EP limps and I fold. (push here?)
UTG +1 - Tc Ts Qs 3d - utg limps and I fold. (I would have pushed TT37r at this point)

Blinds are now 100/200 - Chipstack 860 - 6 players
UTG - 7h 2h 3d Jc - I fold. (This one do regret not pushing.)
BB - Jc 5h 4h 5d - 4 limpers and the flop is Th 6c Js - I check and fold to a PSB. Can anybody justify pushing here?

Chipstack = 660

SB - 3s 2d Qs 3c - EP raises to 600. (I kind of regret not pushing.)
Button - As Kc Kh Jd - No limpers and I push, QQTJ makes the flush on the turn to knock me out.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

So, what opportunities did I not take advantage of here?

Thanks
FNJ
Old 03-27-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: PLOT STT - Cold decked or too tight?

25/50
CO -1 - 3h 5s Ac 9h - 2 folds, then I fold. Would have played with a suited ace, or a better fourth card than the 9. Too tight???

This is too tight. I think you should open-raise here. Limping in is also OK.

75/150
BB - 5h Jh 2c Th - 4 callers a free look at 89T flop, an Ace turn, a 5 river and I fold to a bet.

You flopped an OESD plus top pair plus a backdoor low and didn't bet it? Argh!
Pot this flop unless it's all of one suit. This stands out to my mind as your biggest mistake.

100/200
BB - Jc 5h 4h 5d - 4 limpers and the flop is Th 6c Js - I check and fold to a PSB. Can anybody justify pushing here?

Yes, I think pushing can probably be justified. Maybe 25% chance that you take it down right there,
25% chance that you get involved in a close race with a hand like A789 or similar draw, 25% that you end up as a pretty big dog vs made two pair hand of some sort, 25% that you're totally DOA.
But even though your equity vs opponent range is bad, the pot will be laying you some very nice odds if you're called.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

75/150

You flopped an OESD plus top pair plus a backdoor low and didn't bet it? Argh!
Pot this flop unless it's all of one suit. This stands out to my mind as your biggest mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]
I double-checked, and the flop was double-suited, so I had six clean outs. Still, this was as good an opportunity as I was going to get. I see your point thanks.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:00 PM

I agree with bbartlog, except having taking advantage of the first two opportunities he points out, I would probably muck the third one like you did.

Also, I dont get too excited about trying to force things until I get down to about 5 BB, at which point I may open push any four to steal the blinds from CO-1 to BTN. The added benefit of being patient early is I generally get a free walk the first push or two, which will put me right back in the game.
You also mention wanting to push over someone, I almost never do this without a very strong hand or a lot of chips. I have found that it is much easier to be the initial aggressor than to push someone off a hand, especially in PLO8.
Sometimes, we just dont get any cards and are forced to wait for the "Best" chance to get em all in.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:27 PM

I double-checked, and the flop was double-suited, so I had six clean outs. Still, this was as good an opportunity as I was going to get. I see your point thanks.

Yes, if you look at clean outs you're not in really great shape. But look at it this way - while the nut flush draw will presumably call you here, the fact that you have top pair already means that you are ahead of the majority of the nut flush draw hands. Basically your top pair gives you an edge against many drawing hands, while your draw gives you decent equity against some of the made hands that might call you. For example, against a hand like 6789 (a made low straight) with no flush draw you are only a 65/35 dog.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:18 PM

Read briefly. Seems too cluttered to read entirely. Is this a turbo or regular? Sometimes, I've been blinded down to 700 chips w/o winning + playing many hands. Then it starts to become push or fold with anything reasonable even 24xx if folded to me shorthanded. I'm definitely getting it in before I get less 3x big blind.