Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Re: The APPT Macau: The First Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament in China!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi I have advanced to step 6 for the APPT-Macau and have been excited to play it until I realized something important, I never have traveled outside the U.S. so I have never purchased a passport. The tournament is a little bit over three weeks away and I am wondering how long does it take to actually get a U.S. passport? I have heard anything from 3-6 weeks, is there anyway to get one faster or perhaps something temporary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Expedited processing is available if you are willing to travel to a regional passport agency and pay the expedited processing fee of $60.

You will get your US passport within 14 days.

You will have to make an appointment with the nearest regional passport agency.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/abo...ncies_913.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info and I have an update, I have qualified for APPT-Macau on step 6 but I looked at the list of the nearest regional passport agencies and the closest is Chicago and I live in North Dakota. This would not be worth it for me to travel their just to expedite the passport. I also emailed stars about somehow selling the seat and they said it cannot be done no matter what. So tomorrow I will go to the passport agency in town and hope to get it here by the time I leave, which will be the 20th or 21st.

[/ QUOTE ]

The regular passport processing center is backlogged. 6-8 weeks with regular processing. You have almost no chance of getting your passport on time if you apply for your passport at your post office.

Expedited processing at a regional passport center is the only way to get your passport in 14 days. Either you do it yourself or you hire an agent to do it for you. You have virtually no chance if you use the post office.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi I have advanced to step 6 for the APPT-Macau and have been excited to play it until I realized something important, I never have traveled outside the U.S. so I have never purchased a passport. The tournament is a little bit over three weeks away and I am wondering how long does it take to actually get a U.S. passport? I have heard anything from 3-6 weeks, is there anyway to get one faster or perhaps something temporary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Expedited processing is available if you are willing to travel to a regional passport agency and pay the expedited processing fee of $60.

You will get your US passport within 14 days.

You will have to make an appointment with the nearest regional passport agency.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/abo...ncies_913.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info and I have an update, I have qualified for APPT-Macau on step 6 but I looked at the list of the nearest regional passport agencies and the closest is Chicago and I live in North Dakota. This would not be worth it for me to travel their just to expedite the passport. I also emailed stars about somehow selling the seat and they said it cannot be done no matter what. So tomorrow I will go to the passport agency in town and hope to get it here by the time I leave, which will be the 20th or 21st.

[/ QUOTE ]

The regular passport processing center is backlogged. 6-8 weeks with regular processing. You have almost no chance of getting your passport on time if you apply for your passport at your post office.

Expedited processing at a regional passport center is the only way to get your passport in 14 days. Either you do it yourself or you hire an agent to do it for you. You have virtually no chance if you use the post office.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went into my local post office this morning and they said they can expedite and I would have it most likely in two weeks. Is this just something everyone at the post office will say when you ask about expediting it? I will not be able to travel to the nearest regional office so I either will have to trust my local post office or try out the travisa website.

Also if I do end up getting my passport, I will be flying from Minneapolis to Tokyo, then Tokyo to Hong Kong, will I need a visa when I make this stop in Tokyo?

thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 10:51 AM

I got mine about a year and a half ago expedited. I think I got it wack within 2-3 weeks. You are cutting it pretty thin. I hope you get it.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Fly nonstop to Hong Kong from either San Francisco (United, Cathay Pacific, or Singapore Airlines) or Los Angeles (Cathay Pacific) and transfer to the TurboJet Sea Express ferry at the Hong Kong Airport Ferry Terminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long does it take to get there on the ferry?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) to Macau TurboJet Sea Express Ferry takes about 50 minutes.

Fare is HKD$180 (about USD$23) from HKIA to Macau, and HKD$200 (about USD$26) from Macau to HKIA.

There is no need to clear passport control at HKIA. You claim your luggage first and then proceed to the Macau/Pearl River Delta ferry shuttle bus gate to purchase your ferry ticket.

There are 4 ferries each day from HKIA to Macau.

If you are arriving in HK in the late afternoon around 6pm (late morning departure from SFO or LAX via United or Cathay Pacific), you will take the 10pm ferry and you will arrive in Macau at around 11pm.

http://www.turbojetseaexpress.com/

The Grand Waldo Hotel, where the APPT event is taking place, runs a free shuttle bus for guests between the Macau Ferry Terminal and the hotel every 15 minutes from 10am until 11:45pm.

http://www.grandwaldohotel.com/eng/map.php

http://www.grandwaldohotel.com/images/bus.jpg

Cathay Pacific also offers midnight departure from SFO and LAX for morning arrival in Hong Kong.

Singapore Airlines offers midnight departure from SFO for morning arrival in Hong Kong.

--

If you are flying out of Hong Kong before 1pm (i.e. on United nonstop to SFO) when you leave the hotel after the tournament, you will have to get to the Macau ferry terminal via taxi in order to catch the 8:15am ferry so that you can arrive at HKIA by 9:30am. The 10am ferry is too late (arriving at HKIA air terminal at 11:15am after the shuttle bus ride from the HKIA ferry terminal), as you want to arrive at HKIA about 2 hours before departure in order to clear inspection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, if I do recieve a passport in time my flight will arrive in Hong Kong at 10:05pm. Are their any ferries that will be running this late at night so I can arrive in Macau that night?

thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went into my local post office this morning and they said they can expedite and I would have it most likely in two weeks. Is this just something everyone at the post office will say when you ask about expediting it? I will not be able to travel to the nearest regional office so I either will have to trust my local post office or try out the travisa website.

Also if I do end up getting my passport, I will be flying from Minneapolis to Tokyo, then Tokyo to Hong Kong, will I need a visa when I make this stop in Tokyo?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this in an e-mail from my travel agent yesterday:

The time recommended for processing a U.S. passport went from six to eight weeks to 10 to 12 weeks for routine passport applications, and from no more than three weeks to four weeks for expedited service.

From what I know, people have had to cancel trips this year because it's been that difficult to get their passport. For me personally, I wouldn't risk using expedited.

You won't need a visa to change planes in the Tokyo airport. You don't need a visa for Hong Kong or Maucau.

As to the ferry to Macau, it looks like it will be too late for direct transfer to a ferry at the airport, (Skypier - without going through customs in Hong Kong.) See here and here.

Turbojet seems to have night ferries to Macau, but their website isn't clear on where they depart from. My guess would be the HK Ferry Terminal in Tsimshatsui. If that's the case, I'd book for at least couple hours after flight arrival in Hong Kong in order to get through customs, get bags, train or taxi to Kowloon. In fact, I'd give myself three hours after flight arrival.

Edit: It's looks like Turbojet has a transfer desk at the Hong Kong airport.

P.S. If you already left your passport documents with the post office for processing, it's probably already too late to use a visa service. If you're considering using a service, read through the instructions on their website.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this in an e-mail from my travel agent yesterday:

The time recommended for processing a U.S. passport went from six to eight weeks to 10 to 12 weeks for routine passport applications, and from no more than three weeks to four weeks for expedited service.

From what I know, people have had to cancel trips this year because it's been that difficult to get their passport. For me personally, I wouldn't risk using expedited.

You won't need a visa to change planes in the Tokyo airport. You don't need a visa for Hong Kong or Maucau.

As to the ferry to Macau, it looks like it will be too late for direct transfer to a ferry at the airport, (Skypier - without going through customs in Hong Kong.) See here and here.

Turbojet seems to have night ferries to Macau, but their website isn't clear on where they depart from. My guess would be the HK Ferry Terminal in Tsimshatsui. If that's the case, I'd book for at least couple hours after flight arrival in Hong Kong in order to get through customs, get bags, train or taxi to Kowloon. In fact, I'd give myself three hours after flight arrival.

Edit: It's looks like Turbojet has a transfer desk at the Hong Kong airport.

P.S. If you already left your passport documents with the post office for processing, it's probably already too late to use a visa service. If you're considering using a service, read through the instructions on their website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I think I will not look into expediting through the post office. The lady working seemed confident but I assume she probably doesn't really everything that has been going on. I looked into Travisa, the website you recommended and it looks as though this will be the only way I can get my passport in time. Thanks for all the info you have provided for me on this situation.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, I think I will not look into expediting through the post office. The lady working seemed confident but I assume she probably doesn't really everything that has been going on. I looked into Travisa, the website you recommended and it looks as though this will be the only way I can get my passport in time. Thanks for all the info you have provided for me on this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been doing the US-HK trip for 20 years for work. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've only been to Macau once, to meet a friend for lunch. I'm excited for you and hope you have a great time! Looking forward to your trip report here.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM

I'm booked. Right now I'm holding on to a step 6 to use this weekend some time. I would feel better getting in for free instead of paying.

One time plz.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm booked. Right now I'm holding on to a step 6 to use this weekend some time. I would feel better getting in for free instead of paying.

One time plz.

[/ QUOTE ]

gl in step 6
Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 PM

Ok so I have another question that probably has an obvious answer lol.

As of now I can get a plane ticket from Grand Forks, ND to HK for $1200 after all taxes and fees. Say I wait until I have received my passport for sure, how much will the price increase? I have always believed that the earlier the better when it comes to ticket prices but does anyone have any experience in what prices to expect if you book a week or less before your trip? thanks