Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Default checks from poker sites

In the last 2 months I have recieved probably 15k in checks from UB and FTP. There usuallly in 2-3k incriments. Every single time I attempt to deposit them, my bank puts a 7 day hold on them. Which is obv stupid because its always the same looking check from the same bank. And it always clears
They are printed on a banks check.

If I drive to a banks location which is 2 hours away, are they obligated to cash the check? Even though I dont have an account there. I need cash fast for some late bills and stuff and just cant wait 7 business days to have acccess to my money. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: checks from poker sites

Theres nothing stupid about a bank putting a 7 day hodl on a check for a few $1000.

They need to verify that the money is in that account before they give it to you. Pretty simple concept.

If you take it it a banks branch, you shouldnt have a problem getting the cash right there even if you dont have an account with them although they may charge you a fee.

If the drive is 2 hours, I would call ahead and verify that theyre gonna cash it but Ive done it before so I doubt it will be a prob.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 AM

I'd call and ask.

In Canada you can take a cheque to the issuing bank and either cash it or pay a small fee and have it certified. Once certified you can then cash it at your bank with no hold.

Depending on your banking history you might be able to get you bank to stop putting holds on the cheques. They will probably say no as from their perspective $15k has cycled though the account in 60 days yet given your urgency I assume the balance is less then 20% of that amount. Still the worst they can say is no.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Theres nothing stupid about a bank putting a 7 day hodl on a check for a few $1000.

They need to verify that the money is in that account before they give it to you. Pretty simple concept.

If you take it it a banks branch, you shouldnt have a problem getting the cash right there even if you dont have an account with them although they may charge you a fee.

If the drive is 2 hours, I would call ahead and verify that theyre gonna cash it but Ive done it before so I doubt it will be a prob.

[/ QUOTE ]

them continually putting holds on checks that are being depossitted about once every 2 weeks is comparable to a bank putting a hold on a guys pay check everytime he brings it in there. When check after check has cleared it seems like they might go ahead and give me access to my money.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:33 AM

Might not want to mention the specific banks that the poker sites use... No good can come of that. Do you want them to stop taking the checks altogether? Just plan for the 7 day hold.

Edit your post perhaps?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:35 AM

Not when its an out of state check... and how many times a particular similar set of checks is processed doesnt alter the processing time, they dont even realize you have cashed that amount of checks that are "similar" without manually checking... std procedures.

Take it to the bank or call and ask them if there is a place that will cash it closer than 2 hrs away, sometimes it doesnt even have to be a "bank" branded branch there may be some momnpop local branch that uses banks to process checks and they should be able to cash it just like the actual bank branch...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:22 PM

If a banks "standards operating procedures" piss OP off so much I bet he would love to hear about "structuring" and being reported by the bank for "suspicious" account activity...

ZOMG I have to wait 7 days for a check to clear...The horrors of the real world...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit your post perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]
It was too late...you only have a 30 minute window in which to edit your posts.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

them continually putting holds on checks that are being depossitted about once every 2 weeks is comparable to a bank putting a hold on a guys pay check everytime he brings it in there. When check after check has cleared it seems like they might go ahead and give me access to my money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes because they pay attention to your checks specifically and say oh it cleared the first few times.. put it through. This is SOP, did u just want something to bitch about?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 PM

I'd love to have it wait for 7 days. My FTP cheques took 21 business days to clear because I live in Canada. Now that I'm on Party, <3'ing those ETF's [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].