Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM

Default $55 NLTRN: facing fairly big c/r shove on the flop

I didn't have much of a read on him, but he didn't make any overly retarded move up to this point. He didn't do anything to show that he is not overaggro in bad spots like most of the players that don't out them as calling stations during the first hands.
What hands does he shove here and more importantly, whats our calling range?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1225)
Hero (t1775)

Preflop: Hero is Button with X X.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, BB calls t50.

Flop: (t160) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1145</font>
Old 11-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: $55 NLTRN: facing fairly big c/r shove on the flop

In the earlier stages of these SNG's it's prob the most profitable time to call PF raises OOP with marginal holdings as the raises are rarely more than 5% of one's stack.

I don't think this is a blatant steal becuz he's only going to get called by a hand that beats him most of the time (unless we are facing set over set) and even if the hand does not beat him, he will have them drawing dead NEVER. It's possible to put him on a junk hand as well becuz u are representing a big hand such as AJ to 1010&gt;.

It's possible he hit 2 pair (see beginning of response post about calling OOP with marginal holdings) and thinks you will stack off with an overpair.

I think he shoves anywhere from 92 (not likely tho) to J9 and all sets. Our calling range is pretty small here, 22,99,JJ, Top 2. I think calling with a hand like AJ will result to drawing extremely slim or completely dead.

My thoughts are jumbled here, but the more I think this through, I think he has a garbage 2 pair and wants you to stack off with overpair or 1010 (no one ever wants to believe the one overcard on the board actually hit their opponent leaving them drawing to 2 outs)

What actually happened?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 PM

Ok, I'm never ever ever folding AJ here vs a basically unknown at a $55, my main question is down to what Jx we are calling here.
I think most average guys are NOT shoving the monsters (2pair, set) here because they "don't want to lose me".
Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 PM

I was thinking about a similar question earlier. I think if the board was slightly more coordinated (like a flush draw possible), I would call with any top pair hand. Here though, I'm not so sure. Some players like to go nuts like this with a 9 in order to scare you away from c-betting in the future. I think I'd definitely call with JT or better. Maybe folding weaker kickers would be a good idea.

Anyways, I'm only posting because I don't really know the answer to this question, and I was wondering the same thing.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:50 AM

in my own experiences, I am that guy who never folds AJ here and finds himself drawing super slim. I would fold AJ here, this early.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:53 AM

I kno that contradicts what I said earlier, but this is structured hand analysis and how we all get better. So what I do and say may be two diff things, but I don't always do the right things when playing even if I know I'm doing something wrong. But that's all part of trying to improve.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:58 AM

I'd call here with any jack and expect him to show up with a draw unless I had a read that said otherwise.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 PM

that shove is so unreadable. the confusion would make me call with top pair any kicker, but i am a station who tilts when overbet at (serious weakness in my game :P). i know that i would have precisely 92 if i did this, but i dont have a clue for an unknown like this. if in doubt, call. remember that.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM

I say QJ+ and J8, which is a blocker for QT.

Might be a little too tight though, I dunno.