Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 07-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Default $50 HU match; 2 hands; same opponent, different match

Both these hands were are from the 2nd table of a best-of-four HU tourney. The first hand may provide insight to the second hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t40 (2 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t2700)
BB (t3300)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], T[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]].
Hero raises to t80</font>, BB raises to t280</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t560) 6[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], T[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], 4[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (2 players)</font>
BB bets t240</font>, Hero raises to t560</font>, BB raises to t3020</font>, Hero calls t1860 (All-In).

Turn: (t6000) 3[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] (2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t6000) 7[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] (2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t6000

Second-Hand

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t60 (2 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t2600)
BB (t3400)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], A[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]].
Hero calls t30, BB raises to t240</font>, Hero raises to t690</font>, BB calls t420.

Flop: (t1350) 4[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]], 6[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], 7[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [color=Blue](2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t1350) 2[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (2 players)</font>

BB goes all-in

Backround on villain: Sharkscope shows a winning player who is on a bit of a roll. Only %8 ROI at $21 avg stake with over half of profits coming since June, but still a winner. Has played several HU matches but not very successful with the 4 entrant format. Villain struggles to get away from hands once putting money in pot especially if he is aggressor. Consistantly re-raising out of position with skectchy hands. I was called down with hand 9,6 and 10,3 when he caught 3 pair. He even called flop raise with 9,6 after missing flop and catching pair on turn.

In first hand, I called all-in because I figured he was making a move with A,Q or pocket nines (10,5 may even be a possibility). It felt another hand he just could not get a way from. I lost to a draw, it happens.

Next tournament was about an hour later. I went to it planning to play small pots especially with the blinds low and chip away. It was going well until he rivered bottom trips to take a big hand which gave him the lead. With the hand in question, My thinking was to re-raise out of the button because he was raising almost every hand out of position. He called my re-raise which was a bit of a surprise based on the size of it. Made me think he had a piar of sixes or A,8 or something like that. I checked the flop because I felt I indicated strength pre-flop and was check-raised several times. I did not want to commit myself to if he had flopped a small set. I was hoping for a scare card even if I did not pair on turn so I can know if I was for sure beat.

What do you do when villain pushes into $1320 pot, I have $1940 left?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: $50 HU match; 2 hands; same opponent, different match

i'd make it like 800ish on the re-raise and shove basically any flop.

and i probably shove the flop here anyway. fold turn
Old 07-15-2007, 11:47 AM

def reraise more.

the flop check is interesting, my instinct would be to bet the flop and call a push. But checking seems superior to that if you can get this decision right more often that not.

as played i'd fold the turn.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 PM

I disagree with pushing the flop in hand 2. I fold to the turn all-in, and then play this hand exactly the same next time I have top pair or better (maybe even mid pair).

Calling a push with A high is fun when you catch people but generally not needed to win a tournament. I bet the flop half the time and check behind half the time, depending on the opponent.