Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community

Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Playing the \"Steps\" on Stars but can\'t go on the trip

Well, I'm on Step 5 of the Stars step tourneys for the Sydney Package, but somethig has come up and I can't go even if I do win. There are 6 steps so I'm not there yet, but want to figure out the best way to handle this.

I've been told by Stars support that the package can not be transferred or sold to another player and it must be used or forfeited.

I asked support what they do with unused tickets to the different steps as the event is in early Dec. and this is what I received:

<font color="blue">
We haven't decided (yet) what to do about leftover APPT Steps tickets once qualifying is over. I can tell you two things:

1. It's very unlikely that we'll simply convert the tickets to cash.

2. It's quite likely that we'll roll the tickets over into Steps tickets for one of our other satellite series (EPT Season 4, APPT Season 2, PCA, etc.).

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again. </font>

They haven't decided yet? What's with that, the event start in a matter of days.

Anyway, it seems my best bet is not to complete the steps and hope my step ticket will get transfered over to another step event that I can attend. If I actually complete step 6 and win a seat, I'll just have to forfeit it according to PokerStars support.

Does this sound about right to you guys? Should I just not play the ticket I have for step 5 and hope they decide to do the right thing with my unused step ticket?

I haven't played any of these steps before ( or any sat. really) so I was hoping some of you players more epxerienced with these things might have other options.

I'd hate to just not play and hope PokerStars makes a decision that works for "me". I'd also hate to get lucky enough to win the package only to have to forfeit it and lose out on it completely.

Are there any other options here?

What would you do in this situation?

THANKS !!!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Playing the \"Steps\" on Stars but can\'t go on the trip

A lot of people seem to be stuck with step tickets.

They make it pretty clear up front they are not good for anything else up front.

If you actually worked your way up from $7.50 you could try to make it to the step 6 and just fold into 4th or 5th I think you get $1,000, although I would probably only do that if they said the tickets are worth $0. From some of the other posts it sounds like stars will transfer the tickets to another big buy in event so I'd probably just wait it out and see what happens.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:54 PM

Just wait for a new event to have steps. It seems to me that you may be able to go on the trip to Australia but you would rather take the cash for step 6. Perhaps you started on a whim and now feel uncomfortable playing these stakes so you want the entry cash, thats perfectly natural. If you don't have a problem playing this level you can simply wait for the next event you would like to go to and instantly be on step 5 in the process!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just fold into 4th or 5th

[/ QUOTE ]

you CLEARLY haven't played a step 6 before...
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Hey Jurollo,
Speaking of which you have any insight for us on which will be the next event that will offer steps, I'm sitting on a few step 4s for the PCA(which ended) and I'm curious which events I might be able to use them for!
Cheers!
John
Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM

John,
I have no idea to be honest. They are coming out with seat-only sats for the PCA so perhaps that could be an option, thats only wild speculation though.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks guys,

I did just do this on a whim starting at $7.50, but I also don't mind playing these stakes. I originally wanted the Sydney package, but now I can't go no matter what.

It seems clear my best option at this point is to not win the package and hope Stars just let's me use my unused ticket for the same level on a future step event.

From the posts it seems this is the norm in these situations. If so, why won't PokerStars tell me this instead of telling they basically don't know what they will do at this point?

Anyway, thanks guys. I guess I just sit on the unused ticket.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 PM

The steps system is new to Stars starting with these two events so they probably weren't sure what they would do after these run their course. I can say one thing though, you won't just lose your money, anyone who has ever dealt with Stars can assure you of this.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just fold into 4th or 5th

[/ QUOTE ]

you CLEARLY haven't played a step 6 before...

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:38 PM

Guilty, flame well deserved. My thought was if it was an option between nothing or trying to get into the step 6 and just trying for the money versus winning he should try for the money I think they even pay down to 7th (granted not what I said at first)

Granted I'm just a nobody but even sittng down with the top players if they are all trying to actually win I would think I could manage a 7th place finish (feel free to flame away again)

Obviously if stars is going to offer a step 5 ticket to him for a later tourney thats the way to go.