Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

Would love to do this.

1. Been playing since I turned 18 (probably closer to 17 but didn't deposit until I was legal). I've played all variety's of holdem (limit/nl/sit's/mtt's). Successfully grinded $5 sit's and am able to beat micro nl tables (.10/25 mostly). Currently trying to beat the .25/.50 tables and am showing progress. I have been using pokertracker recently to try and improve my game and I am starting to see results from it. I also read lots of the micro strategy forum.

2. I don't want to be a full time pro. I do want to earn a substantial side income from poker, especially while i finish up my university degree. Would love to be able to crush the 1/2 - 2/4 levels of nl.

3. Current stakes are a mix of .10/.25 and .25/.50 6max nl. I don't have 100% accurate numbers but i have made approx. $2000-2500 from poker in the last 2 years. About $1000 of that is from grinding sit's. Another 1000 is from mtt's over the last 2 years. And I have made about $500 from cash games. I think I'm underestimating and will get an accurate number later.

4. Most of my posts have been in the micro limit strategy forum. Nothing substantial worth noting however, mostly just my view/opinion on any given hand posted.

5. I'm 20 and going to University. I'm a Computer Science major in a co-op degree, meaning its a 5 year degree and I get 2 years work experience. I tend to play more poker when I'm on work terms. Have done very little web stuff but would have no problems learning anything required to run your site.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Hi,

I started playing about 6 months ago. Read all the standard books. Read 2p2 and joined CR. Built a bankroll from scratch and am currently rolled for NL100. I put in about 30k hands a month plus study time. I have a good understanding of poker theory, but less success implementing it at the table.

My goal is a good winrate at NL 1/2. This would be a huge boost to my income, as I am currently 50% done a PhD program that pays me very little.

I primarily post strat in uNL section. While my advice may not be the best in the world, if you take a look at my posts you'll see they are thorough and well thought out.

Since I am a grad student, I have a good understanding of teaching and learning (my dissertation is on the connection between writing and learning). So while I may not be the most exciting poker candidate, I would be a productive and active member of the community. I gots potential baby.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:00 PM

1. How you are currently improving your game

I watch a lot of CR vids and read a decent amount of strat posts. I don't feel I have improved at all over the last year and that may be the result of not having a coach/mentor. It has been frustrating to say the least.

2. Your poker goals.

I would love to be able to play 5/10NL to supplement my income. I am a senior in college and am going to graduate in May. I will likely be working in the financial industry.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

I currently play 50NL-100NL. I have made ~25K prior to the poker legislation and have made less than ~5K since. I know it is possible to beat the games for much more than that so it's clear I have a lot of learning to do.

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

Not many posts but I read 2+2 every day. Most of my posts are in the investing forum.

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply.

I have been very successful at pretty much everything I put my mind to. I was a top ten dueler in North America in ut2k4 after hooking up with the best clan in the US and training with them. I played on the JrPGA and have a low signle digit handicap due to extensive work with a former PGA pro who coached me. I guess the bottom line is that if I have someone to show me the way, I'll get there. I also have a successful investing track record.

I work out regularly and like to stay active.

I am fairly compulsive and like to explain things to others. If I can build my poker confidence up I will be back to playing 6 hours a day like I did when I was winning at a decent clip.

I used to design websites in highschool and have a decent knowlege of php which I learned when creating an app for facebook. I should be able to put a workable site together for your students.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:04 PM

stealing my avatar makes me sad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

jay mentor meeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 11-19-2007, 02:05 PM

1) I subscribe to both Stoxpoker and Cardrunners. Both have helped my game considerably. I have every 2+2 book money can buy and there's always one in my hand when I'm lying around the house. Lately, I've been toying more with PokerStove because I have a newfound understanding of equity. Funny how we think we know something and it turns out we didn't. That acceptance allowed me to start retooling my game six months ago and switch exclusively to NL cash.

2) I have several poker goals. One is to become the best player I possibly can and play stakes that will allow me an early retirement. Not really retirement, but allow me to switch careers, I guess. To do that would require me to beat the game consistently for an awful lot of money, but I am confident I can do that especially if the current state of online poker changes for the better with new legislation.

3) 50NL is what I currently play. I've become a BR nit and grinded to 50NL from a 5NL roll that was just left over from my departure from online poker when the chit hit the fan a year ago. I came back in March this year and have been propping on a small site to get where I am now.

4) I don't post strat much because when I used to, I just got laughed at. Long ago, I tried to post on the beginner forum, but there were posters doing that better than I could, so I left. There was a long stretch in '05 - '06 where I posted strat in the STTF forum back when I was grinding SNGs, but certainly not respected by anyone nor good enough for me to give any advice. I even made a couple stupid strat posts where I misread my hand and didn't realize it until it was too late and the embarrassment sent me to lurker status for a long time. So, sorry, this may not get me accepted to the program, but I haven't posted much strat this year. Would it help if I said I'd change that?

5) About me? 44 year old fat guy getting overpaid in the IT industry. Kids are all grown and out of the house so I can play poker live or online whenever I feel like it. Came into poker with the Moneymaker crowd. Limit for a while. Made a bit of money up to 3/6. Switched to SNGs and made a bit up to the 30+3s. Gave up online for live after legislation, made a bit of money. Came back online in March this year to exclusively play NL. I've always been either a small winner or a breakeven player. I've never lost at whatever it was I was playing at the time over decent samples. I just need to continue my growth in NL.

Also, I can run the website and forums. I'd angle to use something like WordPress or something similar.

Anything else? I've got zero attitude, tons of potential, listen well, teach well (when I know the material), and have been at this long enough to prove I'm not in poker for the short term. If I can get to mid stakes online and 5/10 live with the help of a support group, I'd give much back to the group.

Onaflag..........
Old 11-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Reading 2+2 and talking about hands on IRC. The reason I haven't been posting much lately is that I haven't been sure about my own game and the fact that SSNL recieves too much traffic to generate interesting discussions.

2. Your poker goals.

Be able to sit in any $10/20 game online and live and win. My current goal is to play atleast $2/4 regularly again. Get better at controlling my emotions regarding poker.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings.

Current stakes are $1/2NL since I took 1.5 year off poker. I used to be a winning regular in the party 600 and 1000nl games back then. Past earnings around $100k.

I haven't made any since I started playing again. But I used to post reguarly in SSNL and MSNL before I took a break, and that's were most of my postcount comes from. I like to believe I used to give pretty solid, if nitty, advice.

5. A little about yourself.

23 years old male, residing in Denmark. Currently studying to get a masters degree in computer science. Played poker since fall 2004, have logged 400K hands of winning poker.

6. The last 5 months and earnings in that time.

Only started playing again in august. 78K hands mostly 100 and 200nl, winings around $4000, which I attribute to playing badly and learning the game again. According to pokertracker I've played 185 hours in that timespan.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. How you are currently improving your game 2. Your poker goals. 3. Your current stakes and past earnings 4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made. 5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Currently, I've been browsing SSNL. I used to post quite often but somewhat sporadically. I just finished reading PNL (Professional No Limit), and discuss poker with real life friends.

2. My goal in poker is to create a sustainable income that eventually exceeds my expected income in my field (Econ Major). I want to be a solid and clear winner at stakes above 5/10 NL. Shorter term goals are ~5k/month playing 30 hrs/week.

3. Currently, I am rolled for NL50/NL100. I choose to play NL50 for bankroll stability. My past earnings is mid 4 figures total.

4. Post on Risk Aversion This is a post I made that I think is interesting but didn't garner much interest. If you look me up, I haven't been posting for a while, but I'd say almost 90% or more of my posts are on strategy/advice on bankroll or other side topics.

5. I'm a University of California, Berkeley graduate with an Economics degree, but no job right now. I am definitely willing to help out with a website, but don't have hosting. I looked over the list of requirements/qualifications, and I believe I meet all of them.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:30 PM

jay, you rock, <3. thats is all.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM

I'm a cardrunners member and always analyze my sessions in Poker Tracker. I've been reading and posting in the strategy forums on pokertips.org a lot, sadly didn't really get involved here yet.

2. Your poker goals.
I want to play 3/6 NL regularily and be a winner there

3. Your current stakes and past earnings
I currently play NL 100 and NL 200, have "made" around 50k so far but a huge chunk of it came from winning the bad beat jackpot :P (28k). I'm a huuuuuuuge bankroll nit

Sadly not too many but I'm trying to change this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply.
I'm 21 years old and a student in the University of Heidelberg. Like many others I used to play RTS games before starting poker, latest one being command and conquer, where I was in the top 5 world wide. I'm a pretty competitive person. I would be fine with doing videos at my current stakes, I don't think I'd be of help when it comes to coding though.

Also to add, please state how many hours you have played in the last 5 months and earnings in that time.
[b] I play ~2-3 hours a day now and make somewhere between 3-5k each month.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Jay's posts years ago as 1800GAMBLER about game theory and mathematics of limit holdem had a profound effect on my game. There really weren't many , if any, posters talking about the kind of stuff that he was talking about. He surely has a great understanding of poker fundamentals and how it all fits together. I think anyone would be really lucky to do this.
Closed Thread