Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Idea for New Book

I am reading a basball book by Keith Hernandez called "Pure Baseball". It's a detailed, inning-by-inning analysis of two baseball games. Sounds booring, but it's the opposite. The book describes the strategy and tactics used in baseball. There are also chess books that do the same for full games. At any rate, I've read Harrington's books and loved them. As in most books, single hands are analyzed. I would like to see a book that analyzes many hands in a row from a tournament, or even hundreds of hands from the start and leading up to the final table. The book would detail what a pro poker player is thinking of all the player and the plays that occur.

What do you think?

-F&R
Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Idea for New Book

Cardrunners and PokerXfactor

It has already been done, tho in video format
Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am reading a basball book by Keith Hernandez called "Pure Baseball". It's a detailed, inning-by-inning analysis of two baseball games. Sounds booring, but it's the opposite. The book describes the strategy and tactics used in baseball. There are also chess books that do the same for full games. At any rate, I've read Harrington's books and loved them. As in most books, single hands are analyzed. I would like to see a book that analyzes many hands in a row from a tournament, or even hundreds of hands from the start and leading up to the final table. The book would detail what a pro poker player is thinking of all the player and the plays that occur.

What do you think?

-F&R

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a really interesting idea.. there are a few players I'd enjoy reading a "hand history" book for an entire tourney where he went deep (at least a buncha heads-up hands if not an outright win)...

A few names I'd personally like to see this from:

Daniel N
Barry Greenstein
Fossilman
Ivey
Cunningham
Gus Hansen
Ted Forrest

oh and Jamie Gold [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
HAND 92: UTG raises, all fold to me. I look down and see two cards so I call. I flop the nuts and overbet the pot. As my opponent is thinking, I smugly note "I got you!" and then stack his chips after he calls.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HAND 92: UTG raises, all fold to me. I look down and see two cards so I call. I flop the nuts and overbet the pot. As my opponent is thinking, I smugly note "I got you!" and then stack his chips after he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Double LOL.....
Old 06-18-2007, 01:31 PM

I like the idea but wouldn't a pro really be laying out his style of play for all to see?

This has actually got me wondering about Daniel Negranau's book being delayed. Maybe he's having second thoughts?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:38 PM

i wondered about the same idea before...

moneymaker's book is somewhat like this... he details quite a few hands, and stresses both his good bluffs and his crazy luck.

gus hansen was carrying around a microphone to record his comments on his hands a few years ago, for this exact purpose.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gus hansen was carrying around a microphone to record his comments on his hands a few years ago, for this exact purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gus has a book coming out this year detailing his win "Down Under". Unfortunately, it won't be in English. He expects an English translation next year.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Thanks for all the postive posts. I'd like to see what some of the moderators think of this idea.

Thanks
F&R
Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 PM

about ideas, heres one...
they do it for all preflop strategies but all the book then just go on general postflop strats,etc..
i would write 4 book or divise 1 with 4 chapter in this way so u would have(for me at least) a better feel of the play we talk about!!
that is:
chapter 1(or book 1): early position with all the starting hands and postflop play concept(as in what decision to make with the board of xxx vs tigth player,loose player ,then turn play when first to talk,etc..) after.
chapter 2: middle position " " " " "
chapter 3: late position " " " "
chapter 4 blinds play " " " "

it might seen a bit stupid but for me it isnt..
i mean when u start talking about early position we should talk about all the strategies to the end and we could even write a book specializing on early play etc.

now without going back and fourth on regular book on postflop play as in: if ure the first to talk,bla bla..and if they all check bla bla.
i find it would be easier to attach ideas together and less confusing learning post flop concept like the one i wrote upthere?

i mean when they talk postflop with 2 ideas at the same time it can be kind of confusing.
Much easier to talk the hand trough and strategic concept from early pos. as a whole and mid pos. as whole after etc..instead of just reading a book and go trought 150 pages to see what to do on turn when your early position
well for me it would be anyway...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 PM

ps: i used to be a chess player and the way the book are written in poker for early play in poker is kind of all the boook in chess(wich are bad btw)thats talk about opening moves in chess but stop after 10 moves of play and goes to another variante leaving the player empty from the idea u need to apply trought mid game(turn in poker) and endgame( river in poker).
the best book for opening in chess(as it should in poker for early position play) is to explain after preflop as past, how to play those trought turn play and river play.
cause anyway,some concept and card can be played differently if your OOP or not anywya.
example: AQ is played differently post flop if u are in early postion and raise with AQ to been 3-bet by a mid raiser then if u face a mid raiser with AQ in late position.
post flop play is totally different but the books of poker treat them as if they were like the same way or just make a small comment about the difference when i feel its one of the biggest strategic diffence in poker..
and would be easier to demonstrated how OOP is terrible as much in limit then no limit poker...
what u think?

ps: like in chess,some player are pro in opening and other are better in mid games or endgames.
writing poker books specialiazed on early position(preflop) trought the end(turn and river included),and other book on mid positon trough the end,could make some player becomes much better when they find a leak in w/e position they have(ie:blinds play)and just buy that book to improve their blind play.
in chess,those book are so important(book specialized in endgame ,etc) are so common its not even funny...