Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM

Default What do you want/where do you want to live when you are retired?

I read the thread about where people want to end up, and it took a bit different turn than I would have liked to answer, so I'm just going to go ahead and start my own thread.

Tl;dr, obv.

Basically I envision my retirement as this:

60 Acres in upstate Maine surrounded by national forest in a town with a population of no more than 500.

I want to live in a 5,000+ square foot log cabin.

I want one German Shephard.

I want to learn how to play the harmonica.

I want to drive a 10+ year old pick-up truck. Brand not important.

I want all holidays to take place at my cabin, so 5,000 square feet may not be enough. I want to be the eccentric X (Uncle, Dad, Grandfather).

I would want a 60"+ TV, and I'd want to get into sports so I'd have something to talk about with the local guys (since I'm assuming we'd have almost nothing else in common).

I'd want a wide selection of formal wear so when I made not so frequent trips to the City (NYC, Augusta, wherever) I'd look [censored] great, and I would only eat at very expensive restaurants.

Re: Expenditures - I would spend a LOT of money on food, but I don't need my own island, an extremely fancy car, a private jet, or anything like that. I just want to look good and eat well.

On this note, I'd want a private chef. It doesn't have to be the world's most famous, hell it could be someone from the town who could cook me healthy food every day.

I would love to do a ton of volunteer work, but as of now, the variety of work is undecided. Youth camp? Habitat? The choices are pretty much endless on this count.

I'm not looking to give away lots of money to charity. I understand that for some people this makes them feel great. It just makes me feel used. I'd rather give my time to the community, and save my money for my offspring. But I also don't plan on being the next Bill Gates (although, I clearly plan on having money).

I would like one or two language tutors and go on 3-month long trips to Europe/Asia/Africa once I learn the language, realize that I know absolutely nothing, say screw it, talk in English, come back to the US, and try to learn a different language for next year.

I want to eat lobster once a week.

I do not want to run for any form of political position.

I want a boat that's just big enough for me to take a 6-month long excursion where I can read a few novels, and perhaps write one (although, who doesn't want to write a novel).

That's really about it.

I'm curious to hear about other's ideas for themselves.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: What do you want/where do you want to live when you are retired?

Even though i am still in college I have already planned out my retirement lol. Anyway here it goes...

I want to move to Spain and open up a restaurant. Cooking and food are on of my main passions in life and I have always dreamed of opening up a small place, 20-30 seats.
Speaking Spanish is something i love and I love to watch movies and tv in Spanish. My native toungue is english (USA) but i have had a few years of education in school.
One of primary reasons for choosing Spain is the futbol. Rather than being 1-2 minutes on sportscenter futbol would be the primary sport and watching live games would be much more accessible and exciting.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:33 AM

What is with these threads?

That's a big boat, btw.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I have a couple of end of life images, but it's all really going to depend on which path I go down. Nothing is really nailed down. I like to eat well, I like expensive things, I like cold weather most of the year with the occasional warm front. I'm sure my life will involve these 3 things (among others) but I don't know how.

Just as a side note, and it's not meant to derail your thread. I think there have been too many of these threads in EDF, on 2+2, and on the internet in general. I think that's why for 99.9% of the people writing in these threads, all this talk about dreams is just that, a [censored] dream. Rather than spending countless hours talking about how we want to live/spend our money, we should consider going out and living/working towards it. I probably sound like a total [censored] right now but I think this is a serious problem for most of us.

/rant
Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rather than spending countless hours talking about how we want to live/spend our money, we should consider going out and living/working towards it. I probably sound like a total [censored] right now but I think this is a serious problem for most of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I for one don't think you sound like a total [censored]. I also don't believe it is limited to the internet. People spend a lot more time dreaming then doing.

When it comes right down to it most people are too lazy and risk adverse so they will never get there. The dream is all they have.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 AM

I'd want to be shacked up with a new wife by then :-), retired but managing rental properties for a little income, playing poker for a little income if it's still popular then, and maintain a membership at a country club so I can hang out and play there when I want, with some spare cash to take some fly fishing trips, and spend time with my son or other children and potential grandchildren.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just as a side note, and it's not meant to derail your thread. I think there have been too many of these threads in EDF, on 2+2, and on the internet in general. I think that's why for 99.9% of the people writing in these threads, all this talk about dreams is just that, a [censored] dream. Rather than spending countless hours trashing those who talk about how we want to live/spend our money

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-02-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. When I was in college my dream was to be where I am right now. It isn't as great as I thought it would be

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be confusing goals with dreams or maybe your dreams were simply more realistic then most. Most people have completely unrealistic dreams that they will never achieve.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Dreams = Goals, it's the same thing IMO. You can't REACH the goal/dream unless you HAVE one.

Without dreams/goals, what are we working for/towards??

T
Old 11-02-2007, 11:48 AM

Goals are more realistic then dreams. Going to law school would be a goal. Being worth more then $20M by 28 would be a dream.