Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 PM

Default I lost 13 HUSngs in a row this month (50s)

So last month i made the move up to HUPLO8 sng 50s. I was running at a 27 or 28% ROI for my first 190 games. Yeah i know, it wouldn't last. but it was nice and fun for a while.

This month has been ridiculous. I'm still going to finish up money, but i hit a nasty 13 game losing streak. 13 damn games in a row. it was horrible. No hands hold up, no draws come, getting sucked out, losing to miracles, losing to str8 flushes on the river, etc.

(One of the more frustrating things that can happen in HUPLO8 is having a moron call you down with a horrendous 8 high low over and over to split the pot. All they have to do is screw you over once and you get scooped.)

Anyways, i've made that money back and i'm up this month but i was wondering who else on here has had a streak of losing that many in a row and how you dealt with it. I tried to tell myself to make good decisions...

Lately i've been using this way to play through it:
-Accept the fact that you are getting crap cards and your opponent isn't. Accept the fact that you are supposed to lose but steal the game away b/c you can. Every game you win that you are supposed to lose is HUGE.

so if you HU SNG players have experienced this, no matter what game you play, please post.

thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: I lost 13 HUSngs in a row this month (50s)

Everyone with a significant sample experiences this. The one thing that seems to really keep me going is looking at the players who are break-even over a huge sample and look at how many blatant errors exist in their game.

The only way to really get over this is to pay attention to how you are playing, not your bankroll (you should read Indiana's thread if you haven't already).
Old 10-27-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone with a significant sample experiences this. The one thing that seems to really keep me going is looking at the players who are break-even over a huge sample and look at how many blatant errors exist in their game.

The only way to really get over this is to pay attention to how you are playing, not your bankroll (you should read Indiana's thread if you haven't already).

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks buddy.. and yeah i did read his thread.. the one about making good decisions right?

I am just trying to play my best now, and that whole "i know im supposed to lose, but fxx this site im gonna pull this game out" really really helps me. It's sweet when you win 3 games in a row you know you should have lost.

I've recovered and i think my luck is slowly getting better... i guess that's what i should have expected.

But i look at my sharkscope when i get bummed over it and lighten up when i see that my 7% ROI in this horrific month is better than a lot of players at the 50s. (not trying to brag)

the hardest part about it is identifying what the reason for the 13 losses in a row is. I think a lot of it is horrendous luck after an amazing September but i don't know for sure.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:56 PM

wow 13 sngs, are you ready to jump off a building?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Well, after rebuilding my online roll due to cashout, i worked my way up to playing the ftp HUsng $20.i was running ok, not great but ok, %6 roi over 150 or so games. then one sunny sunday morning,i think it was sunday anyway, i went on a downswing like ive never seen. 21 str8, won 2 then 6 more. it was a mix of PLO8,PLO,& NLHe. i too was not holding up at all. i think i got it in good over 80% of the time and never held up. not once. hell one of the meek wins i did pull off was because the guy disconnected, and got whiddled down to 250 chips.(i tried to wait) and of course the hands where i got it in bad, i never hit any draws or the occasional 4 outer that we all seem to need fro time to time.
i just didnt play for a day, to kinda forget that went online busto, and re-deposited for only the 4th time in my life and am trying out the Jesus BR thoery thing to see if i cant get back to playing 10/20. other than that i am just looking over my HH, seeing where i went wrong, beacause as much as id like to blame my bad ruun all on a crappy run of cards, i belive that there has to be things that i am doing wrong that can be fixed.
and now i embark upon the road less traveled to becoming a better player.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:41 PM

I wouldnt be shocked at all that O8 HUSnGs are swingier than NLHE - not just because o8 is swingier, but because villains are going to stick around with a lot of crap and either get there or back into something random for the half or the scoop.

Out of interest, what is your win record? Out of your 190 @ 27% you have to have had at least a couple double figure runs right?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:05 PM

I always blame myself for my losses. Not healthy, but I can never get over the thinking that I should have been at 2k instead of 1.5k when I got my chips in the middle. That all my prior decisions to no value bet correctly, not make that once min-call, etc, added up to this. Really messes with me when I am not playing.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt be shocked at all that O8 HUSnGs are swingier than NLHE - not just because o8 is swingier, but because villains are going to stick around with a lot of crap and either get there or back into something random for the half or the scoop.

Out of interest, what is your win record? Out of your 190 @ 27% you have to have had at least a couple double figure runs right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall i have my winrate at 60.5% over all levels but it might be slighty different.

230 $5 games @ 17% ROI
706 $10 games @ 11% ROI
679 $20 games @ 12% ROI
763 $30 games @ 13% ROI
409 $50 games @ 17% ROI

I'm pretty sure the 13 str8 was due to a great beginning run fo the 50s... you can't stay at +25% for too long.

at the 50s ive had an 8 game streak, a 9 game win streak, and 2 10 game win streaks.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:10 AM

I've played a few thousand HUPLO8 sngs (110s and 200s) and several hundred HUNLHE sngs and there is way less variance in O8. It's common to get double digit win streaks in PLO8 and is a steady climb up if you know what you're doing. If you play to scoop then often even when the donkey hits their river you are still getting half.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the things you mentioned would decrease swings.