Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 04:04 AM

Default My experiences with cigerette smoking

I grew up in a household where both of my parents smoked, but my dad never smoked in front of me and refrained from smoking inside the house. My mom on the other hand smoked a moderate amount inside the house so there was always some second hand smoke in the household, on my clothes, etc.

I had my first cigarette about a year ago with a friend. I chocked a little bit at first as most people do but I finished it and felt nothing afterwards. Ever since that time I've had three more cigarettes. Each time I smoked it did absolutely nothing for me - I wasn't addicted, I didn't feel any different, and I didn't see what the big deal was. My college roommate right now is addicted to cigarettes and I don't understand why it doesn't have the same effect on me.

Has anybody else experienced this? or is smoking like alcohol in that its an acquired taste?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: My experiences with cigerette smoking

I had my first cigarette maybe 3 years ago. In the past year I've had maybe twenty. I definitly felt different, I get a little buzzed from the nicotine.

Am I addicted? I think I am, although I use that word very reluctantly. Seeing people smoke (in movies or in real life) and smelling cigarette smoke makes me want to go out and buy a pack. I don't though, and I never will. I believe in will power.

I was with a friend who is a heavy smoker, outside Caesar's in AC actually, and he said "I think you are addicted now" and because he said that I told him I wouldn't smoke cigarettes for the rest of the year. I intend to hold to that, and I don't see any possible way that I don't.

I don't really believe in addiction. In my opinion, if you can not do something, you aren't really addicted. All it takes is will power.

And neither of my parents smoked. My dad did when he was young, but at least since I was born he never ever did again. He was a social smoker in his youth I guess.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:02 AM

i smoked my first cigarette when i was 12.

i kept smoking as much as i could (hard to when living w/ non-smoking parents) until i graduated high school. quit the summer i graduated.

started again first day of college. smoked a pack a day for 5 years. just quit a month ago.

i quit cold turkey and had zero problem doing it. the only reason i never quit before was that i absolutely love smoking. there is nothing like the familiar burn of smoke pouring down your throat and blowing it out your nose first thing in the morn.

god i loved smoking.

i quit because my fiancee hated it and i realized that sometimes it's better to not be selfish.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 AM

smoking is wonderful, but i have quit. the more addicted you are the better it is; when you are in weekend warrior mode chain smoking non stop there is nothing as good as waking up and having a cigarette and a beer for breakfast. the harsh feeling on the throat becomes very enjoyable for some reason.

on the other hand if you haven't smoked for ages, they taste a lot worse and you can feel them hurting your lungs more, you notice the smell, etc.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM

Don't cross post when your OP is mad boring.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:15 PM

sunnycalifornia,

You didn't inhale. Have someone teach you how to smoke correctly if you're actually interested in finding out what the hype is about. When done correctly you'll catch a solid buzz that will last 10 minutes or so, although i might be off on the amount of time as it was a long time ago when I had my first cig.

As for the addiction part, I've never really understood it. I tried my first cig when I was 17 and have casually smoked since (currently 23) excluding a 6 month span where I didn't smoke for a gf. At my heaviest I was maybe smoking 2 packs a week which was when I was 18, I currently smoke maybe 4-5 cigs a week, all of which are on the weekend. It doesn't bother me at all to not smoke, and I've never felt any sort of addictive craving for one.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 PM

I'm fairly astonished at this thread but to each his own. In addition to being notoriously habit-forming, smokers are the scourge of everyone around them, it's a costly habit, and of course the health issues. I have no idea why someone would start. DISCLAIMER: I think I have had actually smoked three cigarettes before, but I was fairly hammered each time. The unfortunate outcome to all of this was that I got the spins and ended up being sick. That's one way to keep away from the cancer sticks...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had my first cigarette maybe 3 years ago. In the past year I've had maybe twenty. I definitly felt different, I get a little buzzed from the nicotine.

Am I addicted? I think I am, although I use that word very reluctantly. Seeing people smoke (in movies or in real life) and smelling cigarette smoke makes me want to go out and buy a pack. I don't though, and I never will. I believe in will power.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't addicted and know nothing about addiction.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't really believe in addiction. In my opinion, if you can not do something, you aren't really addicted. All it takes is will power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you believe in Friday? You sound really young and pretty stupid. Good luck with that.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 PM

I believe in communicating with people without sounding like a condescending douchebag who is unable to interact with people unless on an internet forum.

But to answer your question, I also believe in Friday.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe in communicating with people without sounding like a condescending douchebag who is unable to interact with people unless on an internet forum.

But to answer your question, I also believe in Friday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you must have been a penis 20 times this year and got addicted to it.

Having one pack of cigarettes a year does not make you addicted. Getting a cigarette buzz doesn't make you addicted. Since you've never been addicted to smoking you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to quiting. Saying it's just a matter of will power is perhaps the most condenscending douchebaggery I've seen here.