Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Thinking about buying a used BMW

I have a 97 528I. I got it with 76K mile 4 years ago for about 16K. I now have over 170K miles. It still drives tighter than most new cars and is much more comfortable that the free Toyota rentals they give me at the dealership.

My BMW was in great shape when I purchased it. It rarely ever has any problems, but If you do have a problem it will cost to fix it. I bet if you averaged my maintanence costs over the life of the car it would be pretty low though. And it still drives like a new car so you have to take that into account. I think for that kind of money you can get something with far less miles. Do your homework, you will not be disappointed in BMW.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:25 AM

someone said something about transmission problems in X5's, is this a fact? I was lookin at 02-03 x5's with ~60k miles for around 20k. Would this be another candidate for ridic maintenance costs?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 PM

Well, I have both a Honda and a BMW 3 series so I will share my opinions with you. I bought my 95 Accord Wagon in 96 and it has almost 200k on it. It is not a flashy car but it is extremely reliable and very useful. I thought I was going to sell the Honda when I bought the BMW 2 years ago but I just can't seem to part with the Honda. As for the BMW(Z3 Coupe), I love driving it and I get a lot of compliments on it. It has not given me any real problems but I have less than 40k miles on it and it is a 2001. I would not buy any used vehicle with over 60k miles on it unles I personally knew the owner. As the other poster stated definately have the subframe checked out on the older 3 series.If you are contemplating a BMW you should definately check out www.bimmerforums.com. You will find a Ton of information there and a lot of good people willing to share their knowledge. I have not priced Honda's in a while but I think you could buy a brand new 07 Honda for the price of a 4 year old Bimmer. Remember that cars years begins in August so technically the 2007's are now a year old. Either way I truly think you will be happy with your choice.
Personally, if it was my first car and/or I thought having the neccesary funds for future repairs might be an issue I would get the Honda. Good luck in you purchase and if you buy from a dealer try to buy towards the end of the month. If they are close to making their monthly goal they will do evertyhing they can to get a deal together. If you get up to walk out they will usually stop you if there is any more room to negotiate. If they offer you a deal and you go to walk out and they don't stop you it is probably the best they can do.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:54 PM

I just got a intersting deal I think, Ill probably take it.

323, 40km 2004 and I have a garantee till 160Km, for 22K$
Ill probably bargain it to the max obviously.

Thanks for the help guys! really appreciated it
Old 09-14-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck in you purchase and if you buy from a dealer try to buy towards the end of the month. If they are close to making their monthly goal they will do evertyhing they can to get a deal together. If you get up to walk out they will usually stop you if there is any more room to negotiate. If they offer you a deal and you go to walk out and they don't stop you it is probably the best they can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol very nice, Ill wait a week or 2 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess Im used to my old tercel 94.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same car [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It still drives tighter than most new cars and is much more comfortable that the free Toyota rentals they give me at the dealership.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must LOL at a BMW dealership giving you a Toyota rental when you service your BMW. Why do you think they don't use BMW's in their rental fleet? I'll help, they would always be in the shop for maintenance, so Toyota it is.

Jimbo
Old 09-17-2007, 01:56 AM

damn, thats somewhat disturbing I must agree.

oh well, dont care Ill have a garantee I guess
Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Must LOL at a BMW dealership giving you a Toyota rental when you service your BMW. Why do you think they don't use BMW's in their rental fleet? I'll help, they would always be in the shop for maintenance, so Toyota it is.
Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

They keep plenty of BMW's in the rental fleet. They are typically given to dealership buyer's and not the 2nd or 3rd owner of an older model purchased from a private party.