Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Default What\'s the best book on tilt?

I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the game but still have problems with tilt. I was wondering what book you would recommend to me. I have already read the poker mindset and it has helped me some. What other books are good on that subject?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best book on tilt?

Punk--

I know you're looking in the Books forum for a reason, but I gotta say that of all the players I know who have (mostly) conquered tilt, almost none of them did it with something they read in a book. Usually it's epiphany, or experience, or pride.

That said, you can't be blamed for looking for reading material. The two best sources I know on the subject are Tommy Angelo's articles (Google it) and Barry Greenstein's book.

All my best,

--Nate
Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM

i'm half way through "The Poker Mindset" and it's pretty basic but pretty good and accurate.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the game but still have problems with tilt. I was wondering what book you would recommend to me. I have already read the poker mindset and it has helped me some. What other books are good on that subject?

[/ QUOTE ]
Here are a few. Schoonmakers "Your Worst Poker Enemy" is probably what you are looking for.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 PM

Greenstein's Ace On The River was the one that helped me the most.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:32 AM

Barry Greenstein definitely discusses how to control yourself emotionally very well. This is not an exact quoute but he says something like I won't let those jerks get the best of me when I'm stuck I will go home relax and watch a movie, whey they are stuck they will lose their control and I will pounce. His book is also in mp4 format on itunes. Its wonderful, its sooooo goooood Ive probably listened to it about 7 or 8 times.

If Alan Schoonmaker's book is as good as his Card Player articles I'm sure its great too!
Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 AM

I've read a bunch of stuff on tilt since I play HU SNG's where you can't tilt ever or you will lose quickly. Inside the poker mind is good. I really want the poker mindset, but the bookstores here in Knoxville don't have it so I can look through to see if it is worth a read. Worst poker enemy was really good, but kind of condescending (might be good for others). If I remember right Ace on the River was really good especially the parts about traits of a good poker player. I really liked what he said about how a poker player would react to getting cutoff in traffic or messing up playing a sport. Helped me a lot to stay cool in poker AND tennis (i don't scream nearly as much in either).
Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm half way through "The Poker Mindset" and it's pretty basic but pretty good and accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Poker Mindset hands-down for me. I purchased it using Full
Tilt points and am glad I did.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM

Without a doubt I would have to chose Zen and the Art of Poker. The whole book is about controlling your emotional aspect of the game and helped me tremendously. Anyone who has trouble with tilt should read it.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM

Mark Blade kept saying that he would write a book on the mental game, no word on if he is.