Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Stars 1/2 Stud8 - too aggressive?

Just thought I'd see what people think of my play in this hand - think I was possibly too aggressive but not sure.
Friendly comments on play on any street are welcome...

Rob

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (7.30 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.15 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls

6th Street - (17.15 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises $1.80 to $5.80 and is all-in

River - (25.85 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___all-in

Total pot: (27.85 BB)
Old 07-28-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Stars 1/2 Stud8 - too aggressive?

Making it 2bets on third doesn't make much sense because it looks like a multiway pot is developing and you don't particularly want multiway action with this sort of hand and at 1/2 I'm not counting on anyone to put money in the pot and then fold on the same round of betting. After you do raise again on 3rd I think the pot is big enough on 4th that you must raise and prevent the other guy from drawing profitably while closing the action. 5th is standard and 6th looks pretty spewy.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:27 PM

Just flat-call on third. Probably raise fourth. Jamming fifth is good. Just call on sixth. You're probably not winning in either direction and you have only one card to hit something. Might as well bet the river when checked to.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:35 PM

On 3rd I was hoping to get it as shorthanded as possible. Andy, do you also think that it is not likely I can fold out the limpers, or do you think the hand would be better multiway?

I agree I should have raised 4th.

Maybe shouldn't have raised on 6th, but do you really think it was likely I was losing both ways? My instinct was that I had the only made low and that seat 6 had very little and was just putting in his last chips in desperation.

On the river I was very pleased with my hand, not just betting because checked to. I probably would have raised if bet into, that I would be much more likely to scoop than to get scooped.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:02 PM

I think it is unlikely that you will fold out the limpers on third. Maybe one, but not both. Also, I'd probably prefer to play this hand four ways than heads-up against a pair of Aces.

You have A63 jamming with you on fifth. What exactly do you put him on? I think it is highly likely that he has a better low than you at that point, and that doesn't really change until he checks the river. You think your pair of Sixes is winning on sixth?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Well I did manage to fold out one - if that was the likely result, would that be worth it? I didn't think it was likely seat one had a pair of aces with my holding an ace. I figured it was more likely he had a 3 card low or possibly not even that. It seems like on these tables an Ace up will almost always raise no matter what they have underneath.

I definately didn't think my pair of 6s was likely good for high, although it had a slight chance. I did think my low was probably good and that there were possibly a lot of cards that could give me a possible scoop.

My general feeling was that I had a decent chance to scoop, and very likely to win at least one way against player one. Basically thought player 6 was dead money padding the pot barring a miracle card for him, and wanted all his money in.

I guess I thought seat 1's most likely hand on 5th was a 4 card low draw (that could possibly beat me) and a small pair. I figure he didn't need a scooper to want more of seat 6's money in the pot.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:24 AM

You really think A63 was capping with a four-card hand on fifth? Do you do this?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 PM

Well, technically he didn't cap, I did, but you're right that he probably wouldn't have reraised with a pair and low draw. He still could have (and as it turns out did) reraise with something other than a low that beat me though.

I didn't say that I was correct in putting him on that hand, but that I somehow thought that was what he had at the time. Not sure why, but I really got the feeling that the 3 paired him. As it turned out it did, though not in exactly the way I figured.

Honestly things go so fast in these games that I have a hard time really putting someone on a hand, but I still just really thought I had the only made low and a good liev draw for high so I wanted to get as much money in as possible. I am still a relative newcomer at this game though, and especially respect Andy's opinions from what I have read here, so I do appreciate your advice.

Results
Total pot $55.70 Main pot $50.70. Side pot $4. | Rake $1

Seat 1: [3c 3d Ah 3h 6s 9h 5s]

Hero: [Ac 6c 2d 4c 7c 6d Jc] (HI: a flush, Ace high; LO:

Seat 6: [7s 7d 4d Jh 4s 8h 2s]

Obviously the results of this hand were great, but I was still by no means certain I played it correctly which is why I posted.

Still open to other remarks, and would also like to know one other thing - do most people agree that I should prefer to play this hand as shorthanded as possible? I generally try to get shorthanded with any and I want to play which includes an ace, figuring I could have a better chance to scoop if I make a pair of aces (or possibly even with Ace high), although this might not be valid with another ace already in. If I do want to play this hand, and get it shorthanded, should I consider bringing it in for the full bet?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Multi way on third, just call. Here, against two ok but not great hands, you were an equity dog though you did get a little bit of dead money from the J.
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=2907200
pokenum -mc 500000 -7s8 ac 6c 2d - ah 3c 3d - 7s 7d 4s
7-card Stud Hi/Low 8-or-better: 500000 sampled outcomes
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
Ac 6c 2d 65928 89301 410685 14 173374 17794 439 0.309
3c 3d Ah 95035 178276 321711 13 57852 15556 391 0.320
7s 4s 7d 113304 232404 267585 11 42189 20889 128 0.371

It does seem like you got lucky here as his range that is willing to have 5th and 6th go so many bets must be tight even with the donator in the hand.
Against his range, of trips, two pair, better lows (some with heart draws), and excluding 8 low hands for him, you have a definite equity edge as worst case you have 26% equity and best cases of which there are more of you have 50-60% equity. Here you had 60% equity and you only dropped by 1% going to 6th so raising was "correct" if you could see his hole cards.
However, if he had 2h 4h in the hole which is consistent with his previous play you have like 6% equity (he's killing you then).
Given that his heart draw just got there, I have agree with Andy that just calling sixth and then again on seventh unless you make your draw like here has to be the play..
Having said that, given that he will make trips or two pair often and you will have the low sown up, then your play was ok against his range.
However, I don't understand why he lead here when you caught the six which was a good card for your range (though not that helpful for your actual hand). Given that he lead, I have to think that his actual hand here is among the weakest of his range and so you can only flat call. If he would do this with a low two pair, then you can definately raise. This was your read? However, your "read" was just a gut feeling right? You should prolly trust the math more and just call in spots like this when you are likely against a player with a tight range of very good hands that you are usually behind.