Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Default possibly helpful tip

i usually break up my play into a couple 1k hand sessions each day. sometimes if my first session goes bad (or good) it can affect my mindset even after a break on my second or third session. now a lot of the time it doesn't matter because i'm used to the swings. however, sometimes i may be hesitant to put in the next session because i want to "protect" a win or i'm upset over a big loss.

what i've found helpful and have been doing the past couple of days is playing on different sites for each session. like my first session on stars and second on full tilt. anyway, nothing groundbreaking or really noteworthy but it's been helping me go into each session "fresh" and i'm not as conscious of my previous short-term results. thought i'd share.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: possibly helpful tip

[ QUOTE ]
i usually break up my play into a couple 1k hand sessions each day. sometimes if my first session goes bad (or good) it can affect my mindset even after a break on my second or third session. now a lot of the time it doesn't matter because i'm used to the swings. however, sometimes i may be hesitant to put in the next session because i want to "protect" a win or i'm upset over a big loss.

what i've found helpful and have been doing the past couple of days is playing on different sites for each session. like my first session on stars and second on full tilt. anyway, nothing groundbreaking or really noteworthy but it's been helping me go into each session "fresh" and i'm not as conscious of my previous short-term results. thought i'd share.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool. sounds like you may be giving up some EV. If I frequent 2 sites, I'd rather just play the best tables from both sites every session (of course, if your setup doesn't allow you to conveniently multi-site during sessions, I understand).

But yeah, I'm reluctant to put in that 2nd session after already mentally registering the first session of that day. This is mostly because I keep daily stats in excel.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cool. sounds like you may be giving up some EV. If I frequent 2 sites, I'd rather just play the best tables from both sites every session (of course, if your setup doesn't allow you to conveniently multi-site during sessions, I understand).

But yeah, I'm reluctant to put in that 2nd session after already mentally registering the first session of that day. This is mostly because I keep daily stats in excel.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it works for you fine but I don’t think this is a good idea at all.

I know you read about keeping as many stats as possible and I myself have an excel sheet (it gives me day, date, time, buy-in, cash out, ROI, average ROI, time of session, Average time of session, etc) but the one stat I deliberately deleted was amount won per day. Obviously from my excel sheet I can work this out but I very rarely look.

I know for the vast majority of you guys I am not telling you anything you didn’t know because a serious player knows the long term results are all that matter. Now, if you are going to worry about short term results (e.g. I have won $300 today already and my average is only $100) it will affect your mind-set and play.

The main statistic you want after thousands of hands is your $rate/per hour. You need to focus on that and know that if you constantly put in the hours you will be getting that rate. If you stop a session early just because you are up more than normal you are leaving money on the table.

What has gone on before has no bearing on future results. So, if you are having a wonderful session it doesn’t mean it is about to end over the next 2 hours in the same way as if you were having a bad session.

It is the hours you must put in playing your optimum poker. Yes, if tilt is affecting you then finish..

I must say I was the same and worried how much I had won/lost per day. It took me a while, and a lot of effort, to be able not to worry but I find I no longer stress in extended good or bad times. Obviously good BR management helps me there as well
Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 AM

I like spreading my roll around on different sites. You can split your sessions up easier (ie. having a [censored] day on stars, go to tilt, etc). i think it really helps as well in regards to hitting and running sessions (ie. win big fast, just quit for the day).
Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 PM

what others said is obv true about playing the most +ev games anywhere

but if you are tilt prone which from the OP you def are (remember tilt is anything deviating from your a-game), then eliminating the tilt takes precedence over just about anything else imo
Old 09-14-2007, 11:14 PM

I've done that too. Change sites for a mental change of scenery.