UTG+1: $9030
HERO: $2985
MP2: $2925
MP3: $3000
CO: $3000
Button: $2880
SB: $2970
BB: $2970

Pre-flop: (9 players) HERO is MP1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, HERO calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises to $90</font>, 3 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, HERO calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($375, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $30</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $60</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to $270</font>, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($945, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets $810</font>, UTG+1 folds.
Uncalled bets: $810 returned to HERO.

Results:
Final pot: $945
Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: FTP $7K GTD. Flopped Set

might tone down bet on turn a notch but just unlucky u didnt stack him. ... i think u stack most decent qs in that tourney regardless of betsizing so.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Yea, villian looks like he's on a weak Q, AT or KJ or something similar. 1/2 pot should do. You've shown a ton of strength by three betting the flop. A PSB on the turn is a little too intense for most hands to continue.

Jarid
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Yeah you usually do want to play sets fast but not too fast and I think you played the flop right. Post flop minraise indicates that he thinks that he is very strong. With the his limp-call preflop range i would narrow him down here to two pair or straight draw. Sure trips are in the range but you can't worry about being outtripped.

While you want to best strong, normally you want to bet less than the 270 to represent some sort of TP hand. However, based on the fact that there is a very good chance he has Q-10 or the straight draw, I think it's the time to build a pot for when you are way ahead and give improper odds to a draw and that's what you did.

He checks the the turn and I assume he's setting you up for a check raise. Q10 probably doesn't go away here but I think the size of your bet makes the straight draw go away. You should have bet less to give him some rope to hang himself. However, your bet should have been big enough that if he decides to just call he is making a mistake because he is not getting the right odds.

For the straight and the flush the odds are about 4.5: 1 to hit on the river. Your bet gives him 2-1. I think it's possible he gives up with the draw here. Sure he probably shoves with two pair but you miss a lot of value. If you make it 400 it is about 3-1 instead and I think that makes him continue with check-raise plan which is obviously wrong. And at 400 even just a call is wrong.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM

What Jarid said, though I may make the turn bet a little bigger than 1/2 the pot so if a safe river card hits I can make a bigger river bet that would still be callable.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 PM

Remember we're massaging pots here. Think about your bet amounts and what amounts he will call and what amounts he has to call on the river with.

Take him to value-town. A raise to 200 on this flop creates a 700 pot on the turn. Bet 400 here and he's much more likely to call, obviously. A 1500 pot on the river card means you can bet between 500-1000 as a value bet and if he's calling down top pair he'll pay off the value bet here. If he improved to two pair, etc. he'll pay off every time and come over the top of you often as well.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:42 PM

Try thinking about the hand this way:

If you were playing against a guy who bets 30 into 370 and another guy who raises to 60, what is your plan with the best hand? OK, so, try to envision who UTG+1 is in real life - what type of human being is he? What kind of bet will he continue to call? How do you get the maximum out of him? Who min raises to 60 and what does he call on the turn?

If you were in the 5th grade and you were trying to goad this really weak, little kid into playing dodgeball because you wanted to whale the [censored] out of him and gain street credit, would you throw the ball really hard at him at first, or soft?

If you were trying to get a shy virgin to make sexy time, would you whip it out or take her for an ice cream first? Would you bet 800 and yell out "Suck it" or would you bet less?

Once you answer these questions, I think that a big flashing 400 on the turn should pop into your head.

Barry
Old 09-19-2007, 01:05 PM

thanks all
Old 09-19-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you were trying to get a shy virgin to make sexy time, would you whip it out or take her for an ice cream first?
Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

You win sir. That said, you'd still be surprised how often over aggressiveness works (they might actually call 800 bets AND spread their legs!).