Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 11:51 AM

Default MTT ROI?

What is a reasonable return on investment? I play mainly £10-50 freezouts with fields between 75-300 usually.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: MTT ROI?

From the FAQ:

6. What is a good ROI/ITM%/FT%?
Difficult question to answer, generally many have said that any positive ROI is a good one, 100 is solid. As for ITM, anything over 10% is good, and MTT guru Sirio has said his records haven’t shown any player above 20% with a decent sample size (this is for online tournaments with fast structures, deeper stacks and slower levels should allow a skilled player to break that cap).
Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 PM

i have a 20% itm but a -4%roi. i suk at playing top game for long hours. i agree any plus roi is good variance is big in mtt
Old 07-13-2007, 12:40 PM

I've been using PT for over a year now for cash games but only recently started using it for my MTT's (crypto manual summary inputs put me off).

So far 103 MTT's ITM 20.4% ROI 23.4%

How do these stats hold up?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 PM

From this very small sample size (you won't know your true ROI until you play thousands and thousands of MTTs), it appears you are playing just to make the money.

Many of the good players on here have ITM's in the 12-15% range and ROI's well over 100%. This means they are cashing less often, but going deep when they do cash.

If I were you, I would take a look at your hand histories and examine your bubble play. If you are content to fold into the money, your ROI will not be very high because when you cash, you will never make more than an extra buy-in or so.

Think about this: If you cash an unrealistic 50 times in 100 $10 tournaments for the minimum, lets say $20 prize, you would only break about even. If you cashed 1 out of 100 times and you won the tournament, you might have made a profit of a thousand dollars.

If you want to maximize your ROI, you need to play each tournament with the intention of winning it. If you are uncomfortable with playing aggressively and like to fold into the money, you are either playing too high in limits, or don't have an aggressive mentality.

I would start by reviewing your bubble play, post questionable hands, and go from there...
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks for your comments. Interestingly I recently bought Harringtons 2nd and 3rd books and have been pushing alot more when my M reaches about 5. Although this at first appeared a bit insane in comparison to the blinds I know it makes sense when the pot is about a 1/4 of my stack.

Although having lost alot of 60/40 races near the bubble I was starting to question this theory.

Thing is had I doubled up I would have been sitting comfortably to go deep. It's just difficult to see the bigger picture when your learning sometimes.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although having lost alot of 60/40 races near the bubble I was starting to question this theory.

Thing is had I doubled up I would have been sitting comfortably to go deep. It's just difficult to see the bigger picture when your learning sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key. Getting $$$ in as a favorite (even as a slight dog) near the bubble or just in the money either knocks you out or gives you a nice stack to make a deep run. Taking smaller edges will greatly increase ROI in the long run (which can be very long).
Old 07-13-2007, 02:25 PM

quick question. Is it worth signing up to PokerxFactor?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quick question. Is it worth signing up to PokerxFactor?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a member.

If you don't have PokerTracker, you should definitely get that.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:33 PM

In the low limit multis, a high ROI is easily achievable. I would say that a 75% roi you are a OK player. Anything above 100 is pretty good IMO. But higher then 100% is def. possible. Also, I dunno how this will be recieved but, since I've started playing multis, I rarely have a losing day. I play roughly between 30-50 depending how much I feel like playing and the varience isn't as bad as you think. But when you play 1-5 a day, the varience will seem terrible, esp. since you can have streaks of like 20 ootm and so on. To be honest though, this varience isn't nearly as bad to me compared to STT or LHE, which are games I used to play all the time.