Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Prahlad Friedman on last year\'s WSOP ME

I didn't watch much of last year's ME , but yesterday I was watching episode 8, and I'm wondering if anyone could explain the whole Lisandro/Friedman thing where Friedman says he doesn't trust Lisandro, or direct me to a thread about it? I couldn't find anything with search. It seems like Lisandro got really upset about it, even thought it wasn't that big a deal (except for Friedman saying he doesn't trust him/questioning his integrity). It seemed like there was some history with them, especially Friedman saying he doesn't trust him.

Lisandro looked like he was literally about to cry.

Also, even though this might belong in the strat forum, I just thought I'd say that Friedman makes an AWFUL fold with AK. He opens for 120k I think in the SB, and folds to a BB AI. That's an insta-call, if you're playing for first. I guess he thought he had a read, but still, awful.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Prahlad Friedman on last year\'s WSOP

Todd Brunson just wrote an article about that situation in the most recent CardPlayer. Article probably not available online yet though.
Brunson very much takes Lisandro's side and says that Friedman was saying it over and over and wouldn't let it go. I don't think all of that was shown on TV.

Also - I didn't see the hand you're talking about but I can see many situations where a fold should be considered.
Definitely not an insta-call imo.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM

I've seen this episode several times, and although I like Prahlad, I felt he was TOTALLY out of line. Questioning a person's integrity (especially over 1 ante) on national TV (when he's not 100% sure) was not right. Worst of all, it didn't even involve him. I would understand if he was the one that had to put in the "extra" ante, but it was someone else. He should have left it up to them. Totally out of line. And yes, he kept bringing it up and up, even though the dealer asked for them to drop it. I would have been pissed too.

I didn't feel that Lisandro was out of line AT ALL for getting pissed and threatening to beat Prahlad's ass. Questioning a person's integrity is crossing the line.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 PM

I think it was prahlad accusing lisandro of not posting ante or shorting the pot otherwise.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Prahlad Friedman on last year\'s WSOP ME

Friedman appears to be a stickler for the rules, which is fine, but can be annoying to harp over small things.

Obviously Lisandro did not appreciate being accussed of cheating in front of a large number of people on national tv, especially such petty cheating, and especially considering he did not in fact do the thing Friedman was accusing him of.

In fairness to Friedman I honestly believe that HE believed Lisandro did in fact short the pot an ante. The replay from ESPN showed the player to Lisandro's left did something odd with his chips/big blind which caused the confusion.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was prahlad accusing lisandro of not posting ante or shorting the pot otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]They just replayed the episode last week. Someone didn't post an ante. The guy on Lisandro's left put in the 5k chip. During the middle of the hand (in which Lisandro was involved), Prahlad kept saying to the guy on Lisandro's left that he already put his ante in and Lisandro was lying. Totally out of line.

Also, this thread belongs in the Televised poker forum.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM

The discussion right after the airing of that episode concluded that Prahlad was trying to tilt Lissandro (apparently, with some success), and someone said that Jeff himself thought so as well (don't ask me if it was a credible source).
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The discussion right after the airing of that episode concluded that Prahlad was trying to tilt Lissandro (apparently, with some success), and someone said that Jeff himself thought so as well (don't ask me if it was a credible source).

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it a credible source?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Yeah, it seemed like Prahlad was trying to tilt Lissandro, because the accusation was pretty stupid. I just don't know why he'd push it that far.

At the same time, I would think Lissandro, as a 42 year old man, should be mature enough not to get that upset about it. I mean Prahlad says "I've played long enough" or something like that, ie the way I interpreted that as "I don't trust anyone because I've seen enough shady stuff" and so thats not really specific to Lissandro, he's basically saying I'd make a big deal out of this for anyone.

However, Lissandro seems to almost literally cry about it, and runs to the floor about Prahlad and such. I dunno, maybe it was because there was so much money on the line.

As far as the AK hand. I can't imagine folding to a BB all in there. I mean we can't tell stacks exactly, but they actually seem to be on the shorter side, which seems like a reason to call. Even if they both have average stacks, I'd be playing for first, and calling in a heart beat. With the blinds and antes, even if villian has KK it's not that bad. If you get shown AA so be it, but it's so unlikely you have to call.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the AK hand. I can't imagine folding to a BB all in there. I mean we can't tell stacks exactly, but they actually seem to be on the shorter side, which seems like a reason to call. Even if they both have average stacks, I'd be playing for first, and calling in a heart beat. With the blinds and antes, even if villian has KK it's not that bad. If you get shown AA so be it, but it's so unlikely you have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
AA/KK are a lot more likely when your opponent is a scared money, weak-tight nit. If he puts him on a range of JJ+, AK then could easily be a fold, depending on stacks. It's easy to narrow a lot of certain types of players to such a narrow range also. Especially in such a huge-money, live tourney. Even considering that it's a battle of the blinds, and BBs range SHOULD never be that tight in that spot, in reality it often can be.