Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 05:39 AM

Default Can ping but not download anything.

Hello.

I have a problem on my home PC. My broadband is connected at 2.2Mbps and I can ping sites such as PokerStars but I am unable to actually download anything (webpages, virus updates, etc) using applications. Running PokerStars for example only gets as far as the startup dialog (the main window does not open). The network status option on the dialog shows I am connected at 100% to the various sites with no packet loss. Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems or has any suggestions to narrow down the cause?

Cheers.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Can ping but not download anything.

Do you have a firewall installed on your system? Since it sounds like it is application-specific, try checking the access settings if you do have one.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:33 AM

Are you running any kind of firewall? Did the problem just suddenly start out of nowhere? Are you running a router? Are there other computers on your network with/without the same problem?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 AM

Try the Msconfig thing - go to Run - Msconfig - go to selective start -up - that way just your basics are loaded - restart and see if you connect then - after that do a virus - malware scan - after that turn on your firewall - Norton? you may have to uninstall - that baby !
GL
Old 04-05-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try the Msconfig thing - go to Run - Msconfig - go to selective start -up - that way just your basics are loaded - restart and see if you connect then - after that do a virus - malware scan - after that turn on your firewall - Norton? you may have to uninstall - that baby !
GL

[/ QUOTE ]

this sort-of makes sense. this may be your best post ever...
Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 AM

Default More Info.

Ok, more info on my problem:

No router, no firewall, no network. Directly connected to a SpeedTouch broadband modem. Problem started (was noticed) on Tuesday evening.

I tried a different PC - same problem. I resurrected my old dial-up modem+connection (which I'm using now) and everything is fine but just so painfully slow (although I did run 8 tables on Stars last night).

Using broadband, a few websites can be viewed (some complete and some in part), plus some poker clients run (Pacific and 32Red, plus Ultimate Buddy). Lots of websites will not download at all, plus my Anti-Virus program can't connect to the server for updates (AVG). I can't connect to Stars, Party, Full-Tilt, UB. I also cannot login with MSN Messenger. The weird thing is that Stars and Party tell me I have a 100% connection, but the actual client window will not open. I can ping the websites I cannot download and there's no problem with that.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Re: More Info.

ping uses a whole different protocol - ICMP.

your internet connection runs over TCP/IP though, so I'm assuming it has something to do with your TCP/IP stack.

you can try downloading the TCP/IP repair tool here...but keep in mind I have never used it:

http://www.xp-smoker.com/freeware.html