Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 10:38 AM

Default Bad play? Need your help...

Ok...here's how it went down. Heads-up, blinds 5/10, my stack = $70, opp stack = $90. I had A3 offsuit in the small blind and chose to limp in to try to trap (first mistake, but given the dynamics of the match thought it was good). Opponent raises 3 times the BB. After much thought, I pushed all in. I knew it was a gamble, but the blinds were so big and with my hand I figured I had to fold or push. If I had just called and missed it would have left me with only 4 big blinds left. To fold would have left me with 6. This player had slow played AK and other such hands to other players, so I figured he was pushing me off with a moderate hand. Anyway, I took the gamble, he had 10 10, and you can guess the results. The question, was this a horrible play on my part? Should I've waited for a better spot, or did I try to capitalize on a situation that did not go my way? Normally I can assess my play fairly easily and admit to myself that I just made a donkey move, but I can't seem to get passed this one. Thanks for the input...
Old 10-31-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Bad play? Need your help...

I think with A high, and only 7BB's you should just push pf. He would have of course called with TT but with such a short stack you have to make a move with your Ace. As played, I think we have to make a consideration for folding, because often times when a player raises with such a short stack, he is holding a big hand (as was the case)...

psari
Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 PM

Odd structure.

And, as played, you ensured you had no fold equity. He had to call 4xBB in a pot which already had 10xBB in it. Any hand which he deems worth raising with, he's calling with. And your hand is behind to a lot, and dominates nothing.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:14 PM

Push preflop without a doubt .

However , there are exceptions where it may even be correct to limp shove all in if you expect this player to raise with any two cards .

However , once you limp and he raises , then you know he is pot committed , so calling depends on his range and you're essentially getting 80:60 pot odds which means you have to win at least 60/(80+60)=43 % of the time to show a profit .

Give me a range and i'll show you if calling is correct .
Old 10-31-2006, 01:26 PM

Jay,

In a 10 player SNG it is often correct for a short stack to push with any A, any wired pair, and basically any two cards 10 or higher. Furthermore, when it is a case of SB vs. BB. it is often profitable to push a wide range of hands, even hands like T6o, if we assume that he will not call without a strong holding. Therefore, would it be correct to apply this strategy to a Heads-up match? I believe it is based on the Sklansky-Chubakov ratings...

psari
Old 10-31-2006, 01:54 PM

Yup , your decision is based on what your opponent may do .

Generally when you only have 7 x the BB and you're hand is worth a raise , then you might as well push .
Old 10-31-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and you can guess the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Four of a kind 3's?
3-7 straight?
AA3.....T......T?
9 high flush?
245.....T.....2?

Was any of this even close?

~rob

oh yeah, and next time... easy fold... someone *NOT* pushing but rather raising half of your stack with such a large structure is SCREAMING, "PLEASE PUSH... I HAVE A GOOD HAND!!" The limping is not horrible... but remember the reason you tried to limp... "to trap" well when he raises you need the discipline to fold...

~rob