Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 PM

Default NFL enlists Christian right to fight Barney Frank

Here is a new article published in the Financial Times.

Financial Times

The article outlines how the NFL is using the support of the Christian right in an effort to lobby lawmakers against Barney Frank's bill.

What do you think about the tone of the D'Amato quotes at the end of the article?

[ QUOTE ]
But he says the NFL’s influence in Washington is the “major issue” that could prevent the bill from gaining more support. “I don’t believe the NFL can be defeated on this.”

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-13-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: NFL enlists Christian right to fight Barney Frank

BOYCOTT THE NFL gogogogogo
Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 PM

So why would the NFL oppose Rep. Wexler's bill which is better for online poker players than Rep. Frank's bill?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Maybe we should all write to the NFL and some of their to express our displeasure. I'm not suggesting poker players boycott football and beer, but I think we could tell them we'll keep this in mind when deciding what to buy and what to watch.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think about the tone of the D'Amato quotes at the end of the article?

[ QUOTE ]
But he says the NFL’s influence in Washington is the “major issue” that could prevent the bill from gaining more support. “I don’t believe the NFL can be defeated on this.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the PPA has wasted a bunch of money on the "face of the PPA" if this is what he has to say.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 PM

We can't very well do anything this year about the NFL, ESPN, and their sponsors. But, if we can just influence a few elections in 08..............the door is open. We need an organization that isn't a joke. If we could line up 10-15k poker players to call Miller Lite, GM, State Farm, and a couple other sponsors and say until the NFL stops harassing gamblers we wont use your product, something might happen. But, the PPA is a joke, and we havent gotten any good media coverage, and we have no organization. The missed opportunity galls more than anything Congress did.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM

I think Engineer is correct; mailing to the NFL is what needs to be done.

We need to let them know the hypocrisy of it all, Fantasy betting by drafting ones own 'team' is really not much different than betting on actual games, which many offices run pools on anyway.

And, we need to let them know they should support their fan base concerning Internet poker, they SHOULD make a distinction, as one has nothing to do with the other.

lets work on this plan Engineer and have something to put on the board by morning. I'll work up one letter, you and the others some and post them here with the NFL e-mail address.

obg
Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We can't very well do anything this year about the NFL, ESPN, and their sponsors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you're saying, but a few of writing is better than no one writing. Will it make a difference? I don't know, but I'll write just on general principle.

[ QUOTE ]
If we could line up 10-15k poker players to call Miller Lite, GM, State Farm, and a couple other sponsors and say until the NFL stops harassing gamblers we wont use your product, something might happen. But, the PPA is a joke, and we havent gotten any good media coverage, and we have no organization. The missed opportunity galls more than anything Congress did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. Still, I think we should do what we can, even it if is just on general principle. If we get a few letters out and post them around the Web, the NFL will hear something. And, if we do this, some who would write but didn't bother because they thought no one else would may feel compelled to join in.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:11 PM

August 13, 2007

Roger Goodell
Commissioner
National Football League
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Gene Upshaw
Executive Director
NFL Players Association
1133 20th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20036

Dear Commissioner Goodell and Mr. Upshaw:

I am writing to express my anger and disappointment at the National Football League’s very vocal advocacy of a ban on all Internet gaming (even non-sports betting). I fail to understand why your concerns over the honesty of your million-dollar players constitutes an “integrity issue” severe enough to necessitate restricting MY freedoms. Don’t forget, it’s the fans who make the league possible.

As a result of your work against my liberty, I’ll definitely watch less NFL football from now on. I’ll also be less likely to patronize your sponsors, especially Anheuser-Busch, to whom I wrote as well.

I urge you to reconsider your advocacy of what many of us are calling “Prohibition 2.0". It’s a loser for America and a loser for freedom.

Sincerely,

TheEngineer
Old 08-13-2007, 10:16 PM

If someone will write up a template I will send it to them and I'll alter my NFL watching as well