Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Please 2+2...more HANDS!!!

I've read a good amount of books now and I am always in search of more. But, there are not too many good NL books out there. Obviously, the 'poker boom' has created a demand that has not yet been satisfied, but I also think that the approach that some authors take is not optimal.

I feel that the best NL books are not general strategy, but HAND ANALYSIS. Because poker in general, and especially NL, are so situational, I think the best books have been the HoH series and Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book. Rather than reading about general issues like position, bet sizing, semi bluffing, odds, aggression, hand reading, etc... you get to see what was done and why they did it. In this format, it's easy to put yourself in the shoes of the author and play along. This forces the reader to think of all the angles involved and make the best play available to them. Some have said, the NLTP is not a good book. I disagree, but feel that it would be better to follow it up with HANDS that illustrate the text...a hands on approach. HoH3 was excellent, because it not only gave you hands and tested you in different situations, but you got to see a sequence of hands between two players.

So to 2+2...PLEASE PUBLISH MORE NL BOOKS CONTAINING HAND ANALYSIS. I have read and reread these and would read as many as you could put out. Can't wait for the new Harrington series....until then, I'll continue to read the forums.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Please 2+2...more HANDS!!!

David Sklansky is already considering it.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David Sklansky is already considering it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent
Old 03-31-2007, 04:00 PM

I would love to see a book compiling all of the hands played by a player during a tournament with explanations and analysis as they progress....presented in the same way as HOH3
Old 03-31-2007, 08:34 PM

I agree..hopefully somebody in 2p2 will do this. Gus hansen is working on said book that will be an analysis of hands he has played in torunaments. Not sure we all would benefit from his style though.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:05 PM

Yeah, but wouldn't combing through the various forums for posted hands and reviewing the comments be, you know, the exact same thing?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but wouldn't combing through the various forums for posted hands and reviewing the comments be, you know, the exact same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, however each hand posted in the forums is done so in isolation. if the hands presented in the book are part of one tournament by the same player it would help show how situations change throughout the tournament....how one hand played earlier influences the hand played now. the forums dont show that as much.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:13 AM

Hi Skleice:

It's really up to the author. But Winning in TOugh Hold 'em Games which is on limit and which we are now releasing has a lot of hand examples, and our most likely next book tentatively titled Strategies for Online Sit ’n Go’s also has a lot of hand examples.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 04-01-2007, 10:36 AM

look forward to it mason/thanks
Old 04-01-2007, 01:20 PM

thanks Mason. Will check them out...