Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Default POG Movie/Music/TV Club Thread

Wut?

Thread for a POG club on movies, music, and to a lesser extent, TV. Like a book club: a particular album, movie, or a disc of a TV series is chosen each week by someone, and then we discuss it.

But this is just for fun, not a necessarily highly intellectual exercise. You can pick whatever you want when your turn comes up, and you don't have to post an essay for discussion.

To give people a little headway on getting ahold of albums/DVDs, we'll always keep two weeks worth announced at a time. So you'll have a week to get it, a week to watch it, and then we'll discuss it.

I can't do this right now / every week / I hate music / I hate movies

People can join or leave freely as time permits. Again, just for fun.

I'd suggest not joining in only for stuff you KNOW you'll like and avoiding the rest, because that's the fun part of stuff like this. A lot of stuff that I love, I only found because someone else told me about it and convinced me to try it. But if you just want to join in when we're doing a movie or album you like (or were planning to watch/listen to anyway), that's coo.

Halp, I can't find this album / movie!

PM me or grab me on AIM, and I'll try to help you out.

I want to pick something for the club, because your taste sucks.

Good, because I don't want to be picking stuff constantly. Just shoot me a PM and I'll add your pick to the list. First-come, first-served in terms of order, but only one pick at a time, so everyone gets a fair chance to get in. I'd really rather have to deal with too many people wanting to choose, than no one. So definitely send me your picks.

Can I talk about movies/music/TV shows that aren't on the club's list?

Yeah, sure. Otherwise the thread will probably become a "bump once a week, fall away for the other 6 days" kind of affair. Just cut it down a little bit when the week is up, so that we can do the club thing; once discussion on the last album/movie has died down, go ahead and talk about whatever again until next week.

What if I'm not even doing the weekly stuff? Can I still join in the other discussions that spring up?

Sure. Like I said above though, just make room for the weekly discussions when they come up.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: POG Movie/Music/TV Club Thread

Week One: The 3 EPs by The Beta Band
Picked by: Madtown
Discussion starts: Wednesday, June 13th

Band description: The Beta Band were a Scottish musical group who received much critical acclaim and have achieved cult status amongst avid followers of the underground and experimental music scene. Their style was described as being folk hop, a blend of folk, rock, trip hop, and experimental jamming.

Album description: The Three EPs is a compilation of The Beta Band's first three releases, consisting of the EPs Champion Versions, The Patty Patty Sound and Los Amigos del Beta Bandidos. Leadoff track "Dry the Rain" featured prominently in a scene in the film High Fidelity (based on the Nick Hornby novel of the same name), released in late March 2000. In the film, a record store owner played by John Cusack mentions the band by name ("I will now sell five copies of The Three EPs by The Beta Band") and plays a minute or so of the song.

Week Two: Time Bandits
Picked by: chuckleslovakian
Discussion starts: Wednesday, June 20th

Short description: Time Bandits is a fantasy film, produced and directed by Terry Gilliam (who created animations for Monty Python's Flying Circus). Gilliam wrote the screenplay with fellow Python alumnus Michael Palin, who appears with Shelley Duvall in the small, recurring roles of Vincent and Pansy.

Synopsis: Kevin, an imaginative child, goes on a time-travelling adventure with a bunch of treasure-hunting dwarves, who have "borrowed" a map to the Universe's time holes from The Supreme Being.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 AM

So to get some general BS discussion going until next Wednesday... anyone who's going to be in on this regularly, want to pop in and say whether you've seen / heard the first two picks or anything by their respective creators, and maybe what you generally like music-wise and movie-wise?

Obviously I've heard The 3 EPs, since I picked it. Pretty excited to give Time Bandits a try, I haven't watched any non-Python relation stuff by Gilliam although I've been meaning to for awhile.

My music taste is pretty wide open in terms of genres. I rabidly dislike modern country (classic country and alt-country are pretty great, but I can't stand modern country). Pretty much every other genre, I can think of something I like. My favorite genres would probably be indie rock/pop and hip-hop/rap.

Movies, again pretty wide-ranging. For movies, genre doesn't really matter as much to me as execution, so it all depends on the movie really.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 PM

I have seen Time Bandits, but it was very long ago, and I will want to see it again before the discussion.

I am interested in the week one selection, and I will have to try to find it somewhere so I can listen to it.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 PM

u gotta watch Gilliam's Brazil
Old 06-07-2007, 12:05 PM

I've seen High Fidelity, but it was a while ago, and the only thing I really remember is Jack Black rocking out at the end, and that girl from the Cosby show being in it. That was the right movie, right?

I'm excited about listening to the Beta Band, cause from your description, they sound like something I might like.

Haven't seen Time Bandits, I'll check it out though. I'm not too excited about it at this point, but I'll give anything a try. I love movies, so I figure I might as well see all of them at least once.

Music-wise I like a lot of things, but I also dislike a lot of things. I don't want to be one of those people that says "I like all kinds of music" because they annoy me, and I really don't. The range is wide though. I love pop-py guitar music (Jack Johnson, John Mayer, etc), first and foremost. There was a thread back in the Mod's playground when it was music-themed that had a bunch of artists in it that I already loved and have fallen in love with. Joshua Radin, Jose Gonzalez, and a bunch of others. I think I still have the thread book marked somewhere if anyone wants to check it out. The first band I'm going to make you all listen to is Kings of Convenience, who I found in that thread. They have a really mellow sound, really nice voices, and its fun to just lay around and listen to. I definitely recommend "Quiet is the New Loud", because I'm lining up another of their CDs in the queue for the club.

Secondly, I love rap music. I'm not that into most Lil' Jon or anything where the lyrics are "Suck my dick bitch, yeah you suckin on my dick" or anything along those lines, but I love calm and introspective hip hop. Lupe Fiasco is really good, Jay Z is awesome. On the other side of things, Lil Wayne is y favorite rapper of all time. His lyrics are just mind-blowing sometimes. I also like LLoyd Banks and Fabolous because they use a lot of 4 and 5 syllable rhymes, which takes more skill than "blah blah gun, blah blah fun, blah blah gat, blah blah cat". I hate 50 cent. I like old Eminem.

I like classic rock (AC/DC etc), alternative rock (STP, Nirvana, etc), pop-punk (Blink 182, old Green Day), some emo (My Chemical Romance), some classical, some bluegrass, not current country. I love Sublime and Jeff Buckley.

As far as movies go, its hard to describe my taste. I like a lot of specific movies and dislike a lot of specific movies, but it'd be too hard to say what genres I like and dislike, since its all so scattered. I'm not really into gore-fests like House of 1000 Corpses or The Hills Have Eyes. I like older Tarantino, and I love Guy Ritchie movies.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I absolutely agree. But I went with Time Bandits since it was a little more obscure, a little more fun, and has more appeal than Brazil. That said Brazil is absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time and can't recommend it enough.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 PM

Just finished listening to The 3 EPs. Madtowns description of their style is pretty accurate. I kept trying to find a group to compare them too, but really their style changes so much from song to song it is impossible. It was a good choice to do a compilation for ths reason exactly.

There are definitely segments I enjoyed more than others, but I pretty much enjoyed it all.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But this is just for fun, not a necessarily highly intellectual exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]
out.

Actually, only out because I'm likely to not know any of the bands and around 50% of the movies discussed.
I'll join in if something I know is on the list. Talking of which, I'd kind of like to discuss Mulholland Drive [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the Gilliam movie that I've really really been intending to see for awhile, but just haven't gotten around to it.

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen High Fidelity, but it was a while ago, and the only thing I really remember is Jack Black rocking out at the end, and that girl from the Cosby show being in it. That was the right movie, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Good flick though.

[ QUOTE ]
Music-wise I like a lot of things, but I also dislike a lot of things. I don't want to be one of those people that says "I like all kinds of music" because they annoy me, and I really don't. The range is wide though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to explain, because I agree. For the most part, when someone says "I like all kinds of music" I just assume that they aren't into music much and haven't really listened to a variety of music. It's this vague, agreeable answer.

On the other hand, if we're talking strictly commerically released music, I can't think of a genre besides modern country that I uniformly hate. Sure, I hate a lot of music, but the hate usually isn't genre-related. I might hate 90% of top 40 rock, or 90% of ska, or whatever, but I can almost always find some exceptions that I like. Which just tells me I don't hate the genre inherently, it's just that most of the music being made in that genre sucks. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I love pop-py guitar music (Jack Johnson, John Mayer, etc), first and foremost. There was a thread back in the Mod's playground when it was music-themed that had a bunch of artists in it that I already loved and have fallen in love with. Joshua Radin, Jose Gonzalez, and a bunch of others. I think I still have the thread book marked somewhere if anyone wants to check it out. The first band I'm going to make you all listen to is Kings of Convenience, who I found in that thread. They have a really mellow sound, really nice voices, and its fun to just lay around and listen to. I definitely recommend "Quiet is the New Loud", because I'm lining up another of their CDs in the queue for the club.

Secondly, I love rap music. I'm not that into most Lil' Jon or anything where the lyrics are "Suck my dick bitch, yeah you suckin on my dick" or anything along those lines, but I love calm and introspective hip hop. Lupe Fiasco is really good, Jay Z is awesome. On the other side of things, Lil Wayne is y favorite rapper of all time. His lyrics are just mind-blowing sometimes. I also like LLoyd Banks and Fabolous because they use a lot of 4 and 5 syllable rhymes, which takes more skill than "blah blah gun, blah blah fun, blah blah gat, blah blah cat". I hate 50 cent. I like old Eminem.

I like classic rock (AC/DC etc), alternative rock (STP, Nirvana, etc), pop-punk (Blink 182, old Green Day), some emo (My Chemical Romance), some classical, some bluegrass, not current country. I love Sublime and Jeff Buckley.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Joshua Radin, loathe John Mayer, and find Jack Johnson pleasant but I wouldn't get excited over a new album or anything. That's weird.

Rap, generally sort of agree with you. Not a fan of Lil' John or most modern ommercial hip-hop in that vein. I'm a fan of Eminem up through Eminem Show (Encore has maybe 2 good tracks). Jay-Z is great, obviously. I'm also a big fan of older stuff and underground/independent rap (Doom, Atmosphere, etc etc etc etc).

Blink 182 can die in a fire. Green Day was and remains awesome.