Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Four Ways To Use My Ideas

[ QUOTE ]
"pay more attention to David Sklansky's Fundamental Theorem of Investing."

Howz that theorem been working out for you over the last 10 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

What if someone asked that of Buffett when he was forming his first partnership? I don't see David's point or agree with what I think I understand of what he is trying to say. But, like his theory suggests since he has a better than average history of being right on such things I should double check my thinking. I ordred the Fabricand book and hopefully he does a better job of explaining things then the ever cryptic David Sklansky.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if someone asked that of Buffett when he was forming his first partnership?

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd point to a personal history of 30%+ annualized returns, and his similar work record at one of the top investment partnerships on Wall Street. And he'd point to people who were also using Graham's philosophy to make outsize returns on Wall Street and off. And this would be in 1956.

So while a lack of audited financial history doesn't disqualify David's theory, it would be stronger if it was supported by some empirical evidence rather than a lofty sky castle built from pure logic.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if someone asked that of Buffett when he was forming his first partnership?

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd point to a personal history of 30%+ annualized returns, and his similar work record at one of the top investment partnerships on Wall Street. And he'd point to people who were also using Graham's philosophy to make outsize returns on Wall Street and off. And this would be in 1956.

So while a lack of audited financial history doesn't disqualify David's theory, it would be stronger if it was supported by some empirical evidence rather than a lofty sky castle built from pure logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of Buffet's results do anything to disprove my ideas. If he hasn't been using them, I can still easily contend that he would have done even better if he had. And more importantly, that those who are not as good as him would do much better. Meanwhile if he actually HAS been using my ideas, which I still say is better than 50-50, the argument is over. So write that letter please. Meanwhile, where is your logical disproof you were promising?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

None of Buffet's results do anything to disprove my ideas. If he hasn't been using them, I can still easily contend that he would have done even better if he had. And more importantly, that those who are not as good as him would do much better. Meanwhile if he actually HAS been using my ideas, which I still say is better than 50-50, the argument is over. So write that letter please. Meanwhile, where is your logical disproof you were promising?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't saying his results disprove you, just that your ideas would carry more weight if you had some real world results to go with them. And my counter proof is built entirely from a lattice-work of pure logic, so we don't need a letter to Buffett yet. But I'll be happy to write one if still necessary after you respond to my response that I have not responded with yet

I've been working on some research for an article on the AP scandal I'd like to write and now it's time to take my kids to grandpas for thanksgiving. So give me one more day.