Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 12:25 AM

Default So im thinking of quitting my job,......

Approximately three months ago I got a job with a big bank. Its my first job out of university and the pay is pretty typical for entry level (40k) + time and a half overtime. The title is Derivatives Analyst (but its more like deriv. administration) The reason i am thinking of leaving is the hours are bad, i get no lunch break (eat at my desk) and its a thankless job). Its fund administration, so backoffice work, something that does not interest me as a long term career. It is fulltime so I do get benefits, paid vacation/time off ect.

I have this potential other offer in Global Risk Management at another big bank. I don’t really understand what the job is, but its tempting considering I really don’t enjoy the other job. The problem is its a one year contract (so no benefits, vacation etc i would assume). The pay is 45k and the hours are a lot more reasonable. There is also more upward mobility etc.

My question is, if the 2nd job is offered to me, is it a bad/dumb move to just quit? What if the offer is to start right away and I can't give 2 weeks? I don't want to ruin any chance in working at the first bank in the future. Do I put the first job on the resume for future positions, or does that raise too many questions as I would have only stayed there three months? Can I just email my resignation, is there a proper way to approach it?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: So im thinking of quitting my job,......

You should:

1. Explain to your current manager what you like and dislike about your job, and offer suggestions on how he could resolve that. Don't be afraid to ask for the world here.

2. Always be Interviewing. Shoot for multiple "potential offers." Having an escape plan out of a crappy job is nice. Having to choose which exit to take is even better.

3. Don't burn your bridges. You never know when your old boss is going to become your new boss' boss. Give 2 weeks written notice via a VERY professional letter, and expect to be shown the door for security reasons.

A friend of mine in the UK was always complaining about his job as a software developer. Got an offer at a new job doing similar work, but better pay. I told him to go talk to his current manager and tell him what would he would like as a counteroffer.

He did even better and wrote up a professional "sales" proposal.

He asked for a promotion to management.
He asked for a significant payraise.
He asked that the company loan him money to buy a house. (WTF?!)

They agreed to his proposal, and he started his new position the next day!

It never hurts to give your current company an opportunity to make things better, and if they don't, then have a couple exit strategies.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He asked that the company loan him money to buy a house. (WTF?!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? That is amazing.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Approximately three months ago I got a job with a big bank. Its my first job out of university and the pay is pretty typical for entry level (40k) + time and a half overtime. The title is Derivatives Analyst (but its more like deriv. administration) The reason i am thinking of leaving is the hours are bad, i get no lunch break (eat at my desk) and its a thankless job). Its fund administration, so backoffice work, something that does not interest me as a long term career. It is fulltime so I do get benefits, paid vacation/time off ect.

I have this potential other offer in Global Risk Management at another big bank. I don’t really understand what the job is, but its tempting considering I really don’t enjoy the other job. The problem is its a one year contract (so no benefits, vacation etc i would assume). The pay is 45k and the hours are a lot more reasonable. There is also more upward mobility etc.

My question is, if the 2nd job is offered to me, is it a bad/dumb move to just quit? What if the offer is to start right away and I can't give 2 weeks? I don't want to ruin any chance in working at the first bank in the future. Do I put the first job on the resume for future positions, or does that raise too many questions as I would have only stayed there three months? Can I just email my resignation, is there a proper way to approach it?

Thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably, you're in the situation you're in right now because you took the job before you really understood what it would entail - now why would you want to make the exact same mistake?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM

If its more money take it, or if you absolutely know that you'll like it better take it. Otherwise its probably more of the same.

One thing I think a lot of new college grads realize quickly is just how much working sucks. Its not really you or the specific job, most jobs are crappy.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:15 PM

maxtower hit the nail on the head with his comment. I actually think that a big factor in men's "mid-life crisis" is the realization that working for the man sucks. My entire focus right now is no house payment, and enough in bank to give me X dollars a year in passive income. Then I can quit the day job.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 PM

Pancho, I am right there with you on that plan. Working for the man is pretty awful.

I believe some people are even describing this phenomenon as a "quarter-life crisis". You're 22-26 and are beginning to realize that all that potential your school teachers told you means nothing to the real world. You used to get an A on a test because you did well. Now you make less than the retard who is 30 years older.

The mid-life crisis has to do with men's wives going through menopause.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 PM

Working for the man sucks, but I'm not too good of a boss to myself either :|