Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 01:29 PM

Default boring AQ hand

I can't get any HH converter to work with my Full Tilt hands. I copied and pasted this hand in its entirety several times into various converter tools. 2+2 forums format was always selected as well.

Anyhow,

Villian is very loose pre and aggressive post. Meanwhile I have been involved in a few recent hands where I raised pf/continuation bet flop/opponent folded.

Full Tilt Poker Game : $5 + $0.25 Tournament

Seat 1: Player A (3,121)
Seat 2: Player B (5,130)
Seat 3: Player C (5,320)
Seat 4: Player D (4,150)
Seat 5: Player E (10,198)
Seat 6: Hero (7,410)
Seat 7: Player F (2,386)
Seat 8: Player G (8,535)
Seat 9: Player H (9,138)
Player C posts the small blind of 100
Player D posts the big blind of 200
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [As Qh]
Player E folds
Hero raises to 700
Player F folds
Player G calls 700
Player H folds
Player A folds
Player B folds
Player C folds
Player D folds

*** FLOP *** [2c 7c 8s]
Hero checks
Player G bets 1,250
Hero calls 1,250

*** TURN *** [2c 7c 8s] [3h]
Hero checks
Player G bets 2,450
Hero folds
Player G wins the pot (4,200)

Is this line ok or terrible? I reasoned that this was the type of flop where he's liable to play back at me with a very wide range of hands if I cont bet, given my image and how loose/aggressive he's been. So I check/float called to see if he'd check or make a donk bet on the turn, and if an A, Q or K came up I'd bet heavily.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: boring AQ hand

Just fold the flop. Would be nice to be in position here. I don;t like calling 20% of my stack on the flop OOP hoping to either spike an overcard or hope that villain (who loose agressive) will stop betting and let me get to showdown.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Sucks to be out of position but I don't see why we are checking that flop - we know he is aggressive and will take it if shown weakness. I'm betting it for 900 and again for half the pot on the turn. Shutting down if called/raised.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sucks to be out of position but I don't see why we are checking that flop - we know he is aggressive and will take it if shown weakness. I'm betting it for 900 and again for half the pot on the turn. Shutting down if called/raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fine with a CBEt, but shutting down after a call on the turn is like breaking after hitting a car.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 PM

I agree with lead out here. You were orig raiser and that's a scary board if you had QQ+ against a loose agressive guy who called your pf with waht could be a lot of hands. I would have to get those hands out so represent strength and bet out. If called--reeval. But I'm probably done.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM

I think you have to make a decision on the turn if you bet the flop. let;s say you bet out 1000 on the flop and are called. THat leaves you with 5700 and a pot of 4700. Turn is a blank.. now what? Pushing will fold out draws but you will prob get a call from a mid pair or top pair b/c it looks weak. If you check and he bets and then u push unless he's got air you have no FE. He has to have a pretty decent piece of that flop and prob not going anywhere if he called that flop bet.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Why can't we check the flop and then play back at him? He obviously has a wide range of hands and the board may or may not of helped him. It may of helped him so little that he can be moved off of his hand. I think in these situations if we come to the correct analysis we can play our hands more decisively and come back over the top. Not saying every time this situation comes up but some of them.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:10 PM

Clarifying:
Starting stack: 7410. Raising to 600x PF.
Firing 900 on the flop.
Firing 1800 on the turn.
Leaves me with 4,110. on the river which I C/F if played back at. If all you can beat is air and hes not folding what looks like a mediocre hand I give up, still with 20BBs to work with.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't we check the flop and then play back at him? He obviously has a wide range of hands and the board may or may not of helped him. It may of helped him so little that he can be moved off of his hand. I think in these situations if we come to the correct analysis we can play our hands more decisively and come back over the top. Not saying every time this situation comes up but some of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually considered that at first. Guess the prospect of doing that in a $5.50 tourney scared me into thinking of other alternatives [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM

You never gave yourself a chance to drag the pot ... bet the flop

also, 3xBB pre ... more is spew, less asking for callers