Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Deathproof

GA - I loved it, but it is nowhere near his best. He has made a superb b-movie, but great as it is a movie of this style is never going to go down as a classic. Each to his own though I guess.

Case Closed - It is a mindless b-movie with no plot yes. Don't let this stop you from enjoying the film though. I think a lot of the people hating on this film for those reasons are just being overly pretentious and snobbish tbh. The same things could be said of Kill Bill 1 & 2 tbh, but that would just be missing the point of the movies.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This movie was possibly Tarantino's best movie,

[/ QUOTE ]
I have not seen the movie yet, but when I read comments like this it makes me really want to see it since I do like most of his work. Then I read other comments about it being a total mindless b-movie with only explosions and other superficial entertainment and no plot. Do you agree with those conclusions? I would find it hard to believe that this movie is better than Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill and it completely lacks anything that resembles a plot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do know the scene in Pulp Fiction where Vincent and Jules are about to knock on the door but they hang back and the camera waits impatiently for him? Well, that is what happens in Deathproof only the dialogue lasts an hour and a half and its not funny, witty or entertaining, its straight up painful. Someone said that this was Tarantino's intention, that grind house movies are formatted with boring filler to get you to the awesome actions scenes. The ending to deathproof was exhilarating, awesome, scary, perfect, unique etc.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:53 PM

I have to agree that the dialogue in death proof sucked compared to other tarantino movies.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:01 PM

The problem isn't that it's mindless exhilaration... far from it!
Two good bits: car chaes/crashes at middle and end.
One mildly diverting bit: lapdance scene

The rest is Zzzz
Old 09-17-2007, 01:22 PM

OK yeah the dialogue is sometimes weak. I think it's because it starts slow...esp. after just seeing people blowing up tanks and getting their dicks shot off in the first movie but I like the convos of the second group of chicks. Especially the scene in the restaurant.

That stuntwoman is so awesome, tho obv not a real actor. It helps if you realize that those women are playing characters based on the actresses in Kill Bill. So while the conversation is bland, there's so much going on in terms of their relation to this offscreen philandering director and the way he mirrors QT's manipulation of them in the action sequences.

Like, the mixtape that he makes for her birthday= the long musical sequences of the first group in the bar. It seems like a romantic gift, but its cold comfort for the f--king they get by KR's 70's icon black phallus of doom.

It's that relationship, the one between the real stuntwomen and the male hero badass from the movies that inspired this one, that is so cool to me.

--GA
Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM

Why wasn't there more killing in this movie? Stuntman Mike started out cool but went out like a pussy. Movie was way too long. Dialouge was supposed to be funny and witty (I guess) but it was terrible and the girls were just awful actors. I feel like this entire movie was just so QT could let that girl do the big stunt at the end.

Terrible disappointment. I would challenge people to sit through multiple watchings of this.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:41 PM

I've seen it 3 times.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 PM

The dialogue is very good, but of course it doesn't compare to Reservoir Dogs / Pulp Fiction because those are all-time greats.

The people who hated this movie mostly just expected more. I did too, but once you sit back and take it for what it is it really comes to life. Witty dialogue, hot chicks, cool action scenes... it's a dope movie.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I saw this movie, my friends and I were laughing most of the time. It was really that bad. How could anyone like this???

[/ QUOTE ]

Further proof that you are a silly wrong bald man.

This movie was possibly Tarantino's best movie, really awesome that they released it by itself. Kinda wish they'd done that here too. I mean, the two movies together setup offputting expectations for them both...plus it's hella long. If it wasn't for the trailers it would have been totally painful.

--GA

[/ QUOTE ]

whaaaaaaa???????????

deathproof was terrible and im a huge tarantino fan. I went with my friends who are also big fans and the best part of the whole movie was afterwords completely ripping on how terrible it was. The dialogue was absolutely atrocious, the movie was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long. Since we all love tarantino so much we just decided that he had to have made it so bad on purpose because thats how the original movies were, because we couldnt bear the thought of him just being so clueless as to think that movie was actually good.

I'd prolly rather go to the dentist than sit through that movie again.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:50 PM

It really is clear that this movie divides people who would have often previously liked the same films. Examining the various boards (such as imdb) we get an equal measure of love and hate. Personally I can see where the haters are coming from but for me this movie gripped me in a way that very rarely happens.

I loved the dialogue, the acting and of course the direction in particular. There are so many engineered B movie moments and wonderful shots, little touches that are clearly added for only a film buff to enjoy. I did get taken out of the movie once when Zoë is on the bonnet of the girls borrowed car. That scene went on too long and I just couldn't help myself thinking "why don't they just stop the f-ing car!".

The payoff at the end of the movie was also incredible, we really want to see it happen after what happens to the first set of girls.

For me this is easily one of the best movies I've seen this year, and yet strangely I can really see where the haters are coming from. If you don't click somehow with what Tarantino wants you to click with then it's all going to seem forced and silly.