Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Oxygen Bar viability

(Thought about posting in business, but I figured I could throw this in the El D forum, as I'm looking for thoughtful responses, and I don't know what the traffic is like there...you can throw it right back to the business forum if you don't think this belongs here...)

I live in a collegetown and I really want to start a business. Basically, I'm going in on a joint venture, purchasing a 4 story building in the middle of said collegetown and we are ripping out the inside and rebuilding it from scratch from the inside. The top two floors look to have never been used with the floors basically falling apart, and we are getting the property, which is in a fairly prominent location for an extremely reasonable price.

Now, the plan is to do major construction during the day which would make leasing the first floor (keeping first floor commercial and top 3 residential), and then be able to run a fairly managable business at night when construction is over. Clearly, once construction is over and people are living in the top floor, the type of business that goes downstairs will once again be somewhat limited, but I've been trying to figure out ideas of what kind of business I could get going down there.

Initially our idea was a consignment shop, but there are already a handful of those. My idea now is to have an oxygen bar, which would cater to the 18-21 crowd...something that isn't currently being done. Dance club, chill setting, cover charge, cushy couches, blacklights...plus the added benefit of not having to go through the set up of having a real nightclub/bar, with insane amounts of clean up/insurance/and other myriads of legal issues (although I still want to open up a nightclub at some point in the future).

So with all of that said...what is the feasibility of opening up a dry dance club with the main attraction being an oxygen bar? Reasonable? Doubtful? I know oxygen bars are located mainly in places like NYC/Vegas/LA...as in, places where people have money...this is a problem with the business model of going after the 18-21 crowd is it not? Is it a big enough problem where the business is doomed from the start?

Any helpful suggestions or comments are welcome. Obviously, the world of business is new to me, but I have to get started somewhere, and I am well aware that failure is a probability, so I'd like to know some bits and pieces, to turn it into just a possibility.

Also, has anyone been to an oxygen bar? Is it cool? Is it hype?

There are a lot of questions here, I'd appreciate answers to any of 'em.

Thanks, guys.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Oxygen Bar viability

man i have no fact-based idea but whenever i see one of these things i think it looks like the dumbest business ever.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, has anyone been to an oxygen bar? Is it cool? Is it hype?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my main interest in this thread. I was just at a wedding in Breckenridge, and there appeared to be an oxygen bar there. Seeing as how the altitude had kinda been [censored] with me anyway, my fiancee and I tried to go the last night we were there but they were closed (trying to look in the window, there's a strong chance it wasn't a going concern to begin with.) Now I'm very curious what the experience would have been like.

I'd definitely like to try it once - and it seems like the kind of thing I could probably set up in my lab, actually, with a little bit of care - but I can't imagine this being the kind of thing I'd want to make a habit of. Thus, having that as your main draw seems like a tough sell, but obviously people are doing it, so what do I know?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 AM

Why dont you just open a dive bar? That seems a lot easier and more likely to succeed.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:54 AM

oxygen bars are pretty cool, but personally, I think it tastes weird (don't really like hookah either though).

but a bigger thing would be a club that's open to people under 21 in a collegtown.

The main thing for this is how strict they are on id's there. If they're really strict, then I think it's a great idea.

However, if people get in with fakes easily, then a bar with alcohol >>>>> dry club and I don't know how well it would work.

The thing with the oxygen bar is I think it makes really good margins as you can really jack up the price.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 AM

Without alcohol, you wont make much money in this venture.

Sorry.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 AM

Hookah bar maybe?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hookah bar maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I wish. Unfortunately, that's no-go here.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without alcohol, you wont make much money in this venture.

Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that because you, yourself, would not go, or because you have actual, physical knowledge in this arena?

Can knowledge be physical?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:08 AM

I don't really think this is a great idea by itself. I don't think there would be enough appeal in that demographic. If you were to do a variety of things like oxygen, hookah, coffeshop, pool tables, few arcade machines, free wifi, etc.

Basically try to make it a general hangout type place for the underage kids. I think you would have a better chance at being successful if you went for a wider appeal.
Closed Thread