Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Pick the \"next gen\" console I should purchase

ok cool, that be mine.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know you can buy outside of the established franchises once in a while. I think most people don't realize that everyone who made Final Fantasy good are off at another company now. I mean brands have a powerful effect on all of us, but just saying "I'm gonna ignore Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey because I've never heard those names before, I'm waitin' for my Final Fantasy" is a little sheepish.

And um, all three Metal Gears went to the Gamecube last cycle. Did I miss a press release where someone said MGS4 is an exclusive forever? I'd put the likelyhood of a 360 release at 1000 percent, even if it takes a couple months.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love how 360 owners downplay the next 12 months in which the ps3 is gunna come out with numerous must have games by saying " dont worry guys, we'll get all those games eventually "

the truth is the 360 is dying already in pretty much every country except the US.... give these next-gen consoles 2 years and well see the same trends we saw with the original x-box vs ps2 "battle"

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? You are going to recommend a game system to someone on the basis of "the ps3 is gunna[sic] come out with numerous must have games"? Fact is there is very little in the PS3 game lineup worth having. And before you accuse me of being an Xbox fanboy, please understand I am a gaming fanboy. I've owned various iterations of the Nintendo console, PS1, Dreamcast, both Xboxes and have been gaming on PCs since the King's Quest days. There is no way in hell I'd tell anyone they should pick a PS3 over an XBox right now. I imagine eventually I will pick up a PS3. Once those "must have" games are released and I figure out whether they are worth a [censored].
Old 10-22-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the same situation as the OP. One thing I haven't seen in this thread it the failure rates of the Xbox. The red ring of death. I've heard that it affects 1/3 of Xboxes. Is the PS3 more stable or does it have issues as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

approx. 30 percent of 360's are showing defects compared to one half of one percent of ps3's

thats .30 compared to .005

numbers like that dont lie folks [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the same situation as the OP. One thing I haven't seen in this thread it the failure rates of the Xbox. The red ring of death. I've heard that it affects 1/3 of Xboxes. Is the PS3 more stable or does it have issues as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

approx. 30 percent of 360's are showing defects compared to one half of one percent of ps3's

[/ QUOTE ]

A complete non-issue in my opinion, especially given that you can get it replaced fairly easily.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:04 PM

Why do you care if the 360 does good or bad? Right now I think it's a pretty easy selection of what system to buy if you want to play now and not hope that there might be good games in the future. The Madden for PS3 was supposed to be a similar port of the 360, have you seen the difference in reviews due to the frame rate issue?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A complete non-issue in my opinion, especially given that you can get it replaced fairly easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a non-issue. 30% is a VERY high chance that you will have to put up with a major pain in the ass. It happened to me twice last generation, so I am sensitive to this issue.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a non-issue. 30% is a VERY high chance that you will have to put up with a major pain in the ass. It happened to me twice last generation, so I am sensitive to this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree its definitely a matter of opinion. But I dont think the negative of this issue tips the scale towards recommending a PS3.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I dont think the negative of this issue tips the scale towards recommending a PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Who cares if the PS3 never fails if there isn't anything worth playing on it?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I dont think the negative of this issue tips the scale towards recommending a PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Who cares if the PS3 never fails if there isn't anything worth playing on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it may be the deciding factor because of my past history with bricked consoles. The reasoning is that I don't want to buy either of them right now and am going to continue to wait at least a half year before making a decision. I'm waiting for both companies to iron out their technical difficulties. By the time I decide to buy, the PS3 may have caught up to the Xbox in terms of quality games.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a. please cite source
b. OP is considering buying a new xbox console, the newer ones are less prone to failure than the old ones