Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This sounds about right, I like most of Europe afaik, although I've heard the French are pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the general consensus (still a stereotype, but a lot of people agree with this) is that French people are great in general, but the Parisians are a-holes/arrogant.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's analogous to Brits and Londoners, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, do people view Londoners as a-holes? I have several friends from London and most Londoners seem pretty friendly to me.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This sounds about right, I like most of Europe afaik, although I've heard the French are pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the general consensus (still a stereotype, but a lot of people agree with this) is that French people are great in general, but the Parisians are a-holes/arrogant.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, do people view Londoners as a-holes? I have several friends from London and most Londoners seem pretty friendly to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I was kidding.

Actually, if there are any commonly held views towards Europeans in America, they are going to aimed at the UK and France. Generally, there is a very high opinion towards the UK and a very low opinion towards France.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would venture to say that a good percentage of Americans could not point out Europe on a map. And I can say with certainty that a sizeable majority of American could not point out, say, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, or any other of a number of European countries on a map. The insularity of American culture is, in my experience, something that is difficult for Europeans to fully grasp.

[/ QUOTE ] I think a sizeable majority of Europeans could not point out any US state save for maybe Florida, Hawaii and Alaska on a map.

[/ QUOTE ]
US States != Nations

I think a more interesting test would be to compare how many South American nations a fairly large sample size of Europeans and Americans would be able to place on a map. One might think that geographical proximity would give Americans an edge, but I have a feeling the Euros would score better...

[/ QUOTE ]

i think states are pretty decent analogues to european countries for a geographical basis, there is probably the same ration of known:unknown states and countries for the respective parties. maybe a bit higher state side causes there are a lot of states that dont get much press, but places like moldova, bosnia, estonia, etc. would be as hard to place as nebraska, south dakota, and iowa
Old 10-21-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I'm a brummie (Bham, UK) so that probably makes me biased.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. would be as hard to place as nebraska, south dakota, and iowa

[/ QUOTE ]
Piece of cake.

I think your example is about right though, states here are the size of many countries in europe, or bigger.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:30 PM

I haven't been to Europe, but some of the kindest and most intelligent people, as well as some of the most arrogant and ignorant people I have ever met are Europeans. So in that respect it doesn't seem too different from the US.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I'm a brummie (Bham, UK) so that probably makes me biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I'll refrain from giving my views on Brummies, can't be helpful in the slightest [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Old 10-21-2007, 10:34 PM

I consider myself a self critical die hard American patriot, and I love most Europeans I've met. I figure most European nations have to be doing some things right to be around this long. And the people tend to be FAR less intense.

At the same time it seems like so many Europeans get this arrogance when addressing our political system. Yet the vast majority have no idea just how influential and powerful our state level governments are. I hate preachy ignorance and it does seem to come up a lot with ex-pats.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 PM

Most Americans could care less. I don't think too many Americans would go to a European web site and post a post to find out what you think - as a whole we just couldn't care less.

NCAces
Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most Americans could care less.

[/ QUOTE ]

'could care less.' Are people who use this saying being sarcastic/ironic or are they just dumb?