Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Brian Townsends Equity/Hand range article in Cardplayer.

SBRUGBY ARTICLE
This article is worth a read, you have to scroll down about 3/4 the way down the page to see it.

My first question for the likes of Aba, as well as others is: At what point in your career(s) did you start to apply the equation that is described in this article directly to your game?

My second question is: how reasonable is it to assume that these sort of calculations can be done in the time allowed at the table? It seems as though there are two well explained but reasonably difficult parts of the equation to calculate at table speed. The first of which i find the most difficult, calculating your equity vs an opponents range. I understand fully how to look in pokerstove and find out what my equity vs a certain range is, and i feel i can do a good job estimating a range, but how can one determine what their equity is vs a range in real time? I could easily tell you what my equity is vs one hand, but how do you determine it on the spot vs a range? Is this something that you committ to memory? If so i would be forever in your services if you were to share with me just what you have comitted to memory.

thanks all........

question i just thought of....does our equity in a hand generally fall within certain ranges?? For example would we find that most of our hands would either have say:95%, 80%, 66%, 60% 55% (on and on) or are they just as likely to be 1% through 100% equity? This might make it easier to comit some of the math to memory, at least for me......
Old 05-24-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Brian Townsends Equity/Hand range article in Cardplayer.

It's just an estimation, I think. Since you never know your opponent's exact range (& weightings), you don't need to be exact with your equity calculation, anyway. Just close enough to match how accurate your range estimate is. My guess is that most people do this intuitively after playing many hands against a wide range of opponent-types.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:52 PM

i started applying this after about a year of playing, if u want to become great u need to understand this
Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 PM

ace got in touch with me so i wont point out the basics to it but feel free to PM me if u want help with it.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:13 AM

That article is some of the most ridiculous nonsense I've ever seen. I can see at least 6 false statements just in the first paragraph. And notice how his example is conveniently all-in to hide the issue of implied odds.

Cardplayer, PLEASE keep printing this stuff [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 AM

You need to put someone on a hand range in bigger pots (you can do for every pot if you like), and as you get better it comes more natural. You can do this by stats or certain reads. Say you have JJ preflop and you raise, a player reraises, you reraise and he pushes all in. The pot now has $120 and it costs you $60 to call, so you should call if your less than a 2-1 dog, now you might say i think he has aces or kings, i need to fold. If you think he has QQ-AA 50% of the time, then you will win .5x.2=.1 of the time here, 20% since thats your odds against this range for 10%. And you speculate that 20% of the time he has a lower PP so your 80% to win, so you take .2x.8=.16, and 30% of the time you think its a coinflip, so .3x.5=.15.

You add these all up .1+.16+.15=.41 and you only need to be 33% to make this a correct call, thus you may be bad this time but in the long run if you think your range is right it is a call that has positive expectation.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:46 AM

thanks for your insight splawn. im interested in reading your article, as i imagine it is pure genious.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:50 AM

jonny do you memorize these types of scenarios? These combinations?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 AM

also how dcoes .41= 33%??
Old 05-25-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for your insight splawn. im interested in reading your article, as i imagine it is pure genious.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, he HAS to know what implied odds are. He has to understand the idea of inaccessible equity/reverse implied odds. he has to know that a bet (or in his case raise) that splits villain's range is often wrong no matter how much (non-fold)equity you have. No one wins at the nosebleed stakes without a grasp of those concepts.

It's a real service to the poker community that he chose to ignore them, though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]