Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Helpful tips for hosting a home game

[ QUOTE ]
* Only having 1 person handle the bank/chips.

This will help eliminate the bank being wrong at the end of the night, and if it is, it is one persons responsibility.

* Writing down the buy-ins & cash-outs for each player.

I use a simple spreadsheet, printed out to record these numbers. This also helps to keep the bank right and provides a record of cash->chips & chips->cash transactions.

[/ QUOTE ]

One banker: great idea. I've had to go to this sort of thing after my home game has been off a couple times (once more than $60 [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]).

I agree with pfap - the spreadsheet seems a bit much, but I'm interested in how this helps your bank be correct. I always assume I've either counted out too many chips on buy-in or buy-out to make the bank wrong, so I don't see immediately how a record would help, but I'm open to ideas. Nothing's more frustrating than paying out-of-pocket to make your bank right when you've already had a losing session (except maybe a two-outer on the river).

That said, great suggestions by all. I'll add mine: if you play a variety of wild card and/or crazy games, have a list of acceptable games so it's not a new variation every round. We have a list about 10 games long for our 1/2 nights.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:31 AM

We did the "spreadsheet" at one of my games in NY a couple of times, after the third or so game of this, we all sorta looked at eachother and went, "How is this helping!?"

Anyways, we've started counting eachothers stacks at the begining of the game - not that we distrust eachother, but honest mistakes happen all the time.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:36 AM

If everyone counts their chips when they buy in and when they cash out, and the banker does the same, it should be the rare case that the bank is short. If you do it for long enough, it will happen. The key is to not give anyone chips until they have paid the bank, even if they show up late and want to get right into the hand. A few bucks here and there is no big deal, but you don't want to be short an entire buy-in. I've had that happen once or twice.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:09 AM

I was at a cash game recently where we had to 'post' our leaving time at least 30 minutes prior to actually leaving. I was told that this was to stop someone from winning a big pot and then walking out with the money (if I was going to do that I'd just post blinds and antes for 30 mins).

I'm just wondering how everyone else deals with people leaving?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 AM

The one game I play in regularly also has the 30 min rule for cashing out. I can understand the reasoning behind it, since it is mostly a friendly home game (that gets kinda serious sometimes).

When I run a game at my place I do not have a set time limit rule, but ask the players to give a little heads up (orbit or 2), just so we can try and keep the game full.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 PM

I set a time limit target before I start for when the game will end. I don't care if someone leaves early. I think that time limits or notices are pointless.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ps. spending some of your winnings on your significant other goes a long ways too... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv. that this should be rule #1. Do it or else you won't have a SO.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 PM

Pathetic, but it sounds as if they're playing scared.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at a cash game recently where we had to 'post' our leaving time at least 30 minutes prior to actually leaving. I was told that this was to stop someone from winning a big pot and then walking out with the money (if I was going to do that I'd just post blinds and antes for 30 mins).

I'm just wondering how everyone else deals with people leaving?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, this isn't a problem at our game. The fish stay until they go broke, and the sharks stay at least until the last fish goes busto.

One time, we did have a fish do a hit-and-run after drawing out (set vs. the nut straights with one card to go), but it's OK, we know he'll be back. It's been my experience that most guys that hit-and-run are playing scared and know that they can't compete, so this is their way to go home a winner.

Although we haven't had a problem with this, I would probably not invite someone back who made a habit of it - too hard to keep a game going if people keep leaving early and taking cash off the table all the time.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Always welcome them in your home/place and always thank them for coming, and always ask them to bring a friend the next time they come.

I try and be as friendly as possible, there's a good chance some of the guys/girls will only see each other the next time they are at your game.

If the guy/girl is a total stiff/rock/ahole/know-it-all/douche/sob...then why even invite them to play.

Good Luck!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]