Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Default 3-4 handed against 50/20s

I have found Party a strange one of late. Winning very nicely at 5/10 yet struggling at the more aggressive and far looser 10/20 games.

I often have found myself sat 3 or 4 handed with a table playing around 50/20 and, to be honest, I'm a little lost.

I wonder how people profit here. For example, I get 89os on the button. I know if I raise I will get 2 callers who will call the flop and turn with virtually nothing. So obviously there is little point in raising marginal hands.

If I play made holdings or the top end of my steal range I feel like I am not playing enough hands. This results in me getting run over. Add on the fact that my good hands can easily get drawn out on and tilt might ensue. I then find myself back to playing 89os.

I thought I was just running bad but I think I may genuninely lack a decent strategy for playing in this specific type of situation.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: 3-4 handed against 50/20s

value bet relentlessly
induce bluffs with your weak hands
screwplay/sexy frequently from OOP to stop them from bluffing you (edit: if they like to bet whenever you show weakness)

in what way are you getting run over?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:44 PM

it's harder to take advantage of their preflop mistakes when you're playing very short. you have to pay close attention to how they play postflop and figure out how to best exploit them.

how many tables are you playing? I can only manage 2 when playing 3-4 handed
Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 PM

50/20 isn't really that fishy at a 3 handed table. i dunno what else to say.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:25 PM

Sorry, I should have been clearer. When I inititially sit dpown they are 50/20s. This is based on my previous play against them at full 6 max tables. They are very likely looser than that 3-4 handed.

I'm probably get run over in the sense that I have a goodish idea what to play headsup and at a 5-6 man table. In between I seem to wait for too many hands or when I do stray onto marginal holdings I Bet/call Bet/call Check/fold with KJ etc.

Maybe I am being a tad result orientated. I'll go check some filters on PT and see if things are really that bad.

I do look to sexy and it IS very profitable against these types. I guess I need to work out what I can do it with.

I tend to only play 2 max tables like this, with another full table thrown in.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:41 PM

preflop just play whatever hands you would play in that position in a 5-6 handed game and then loosen up a bit more. I like to add hands that hit a lot of flops, stuff like 8To from the CO.

what % do you open from the button 3 handed? 45-50% is good imo.

as for postflop, post some hands I guess.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:59 PM

I seem to open about 55% 3 handed from the button. Maybe I'm finding myself in too many pots here. I'll look at reducing that a notch.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:13 PM

wait for pairs, value bet, profit. don't be discouraged if you are getting run over at first variance will come back to your side it's just really streaky with these types of players.