Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: 70 players $300 buy-in first hand

You're much better calling preflop and playing a pot with position. You likely end up in a way ahead/ way behind kind of situation and call down to maximize winnings while minimizing loses.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Just curious.... If you call PF, how do you respond to a

1. flop cb?

2. flop c/r?

3. flop c/c?
Old 05-05-2007, 11:24 AM

I understand the call preflop put me in a bad situation and I don't really like some of the answers that I would have to give. I'm assuming this was your point. Against this player (and knowing only what I knew then), my answers are:

1) c-bet - My read on her when the flop was spread was that she was strong and not acting, so I'd have to fold. (When she showed me the AK, it wasn't like "Look how I just bluffed you off the better hand!" She was saying, "Look, I'm playing value, don't mess with me." In her strange world, that action preflop meant she was ahead.

2) C/R. On that board once I would commit to even a half-pot bet I'm pot committed, so I'd call and hope for the best, but fearing the worst.

3)c/c - Gives me another chance to fire and try to take down the pot and I'd do it regardless of the turn card at this point.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 AM

If the question was if I just called without the reraises, then the answers are different. Now I have a little more chance to control the size of the pot.

c-bet - I definitely raise here.

c/r - call. With her in this situation, this play might mean A9, TT or "I think your big cards missed" based on what I have seen so far. And her c/r wouldn't be based on the same information she had when I was willing to call her 4-bet preflop.

c/c - I would believe I was in the lead at that point and re-evaluate my position when the turn comes
Old 05-05-2007, 11:41 AM

this is very bad. you cannot call preflop unless you are going to get ai in this flop -- it is spewing money. you are not getting anywhere near right set odds so you cannot call pf unless you are going to get ai on flops like this. fact that villain shoves the flop is irrelevant...you have no idea whether she'd be more likely to check with AA or shove with AK or what. if you're not comfortable getting it in on this flop, that's ok, but that means you should fold to the 4bet pre.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Well, I didn't post it here because I thought I played it well [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is very bad. you cannot call preflop unless you are going to get ai in this flop -- it is spewing money. you are not getting anywhere near right set odds so you cannot call pf unless you are going to get ai on flops like this. fact that villain shoves the flop is irrelevant...you have no idea whether she'd be more likely to check with AA or shove with AK or what. if you're not comfortable getting it in on this flop, that's ok, but that means you should fold to the 4bet pre.

[/ QUOTE ].

yahoo.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the question was if I just called without the reraises, then the answers are different. Now I have a little more chance to control the size of the pot.

c-bet - I definitely raise here.

c/r - call. With her in this situation, this play might mean A9, TT or "I think your big cards missed" based on what I have seen so far. And her c/r wouldn't be based on the same information she had when I was willing to call her 4-bet preflop.

c/c - I would believe I was in the lead at that point and re-evaluate my position when the turn comes

[/ QUOTE ]

ya this is what i meant.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:40 PM

lol outplayed by a girl