Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: getting fast cars in automatic....

[ QUOTE ]
Its waaaayyyy more fun in stick, i have driven stick all of my life and have only ever owned a stick shift car. Personally my feeling is these types of cars should only be made in a stick, such as the STI and the EVO.

I actually have the oppositte problem, it is harder and harder to find non sports cars in a manual transmission. I'm looking for a new SUV and there are about 3 of them that come in manual transmission, some toyota small one, the honda CRV, some hummers and the nissan xterra, i like the xterra(have one already) but that is all i know of... and i'm looking for a new SUV and don't want another Xterra

[/ QUOTE ]

This is surprisingly true. It took me months of searching to find my 06 Mustang with a manual trans.

It blows me away that in a performance car such as this, people actually prefer an automatic. Do they not know the joy of downshifting to pass some slow wanker, getting thrown back in your seat and hearing the tires chirp as you shift up and leave them in your rearview mirror?

Stick = fun to drive and more performance

Auto = predictable and lazy.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 PM

lol at people who think stick = being a REAL man. This psychological complex needs a name of its own.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 PM

All you got to do is marry Kobe and then get him to bang some white girl in the ass and he'll get you whatever fast car you want as an automatic. It worked for Vanessa as she scored herself the only auto Lambo.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at people who think stick = being a REAL man. This psychological complex needs a name of its own.

[/ QUOTE ]Stick Envy
Old 11-22-2007, 12:25 AM

this thread is pretty funny and toolish at the same time

wtf? is there a spellchecker on this site now?

anyway, I have an audi RS6, and it only comes in auto cause the maual tranny they had at the time couldn't handle the power from the engine. It does have the paddle shifters which I use a lot.

I would rather have a stick for sporty cars. The ones the OP mentioned would be much more fun in a manual. I also agree completely with those who think that driving a stick is an essential life skill. It is, and the OP shouldn't be so lazy and just learn it.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:33 AM

Manual transmission on cars for public roads are for wankers.

You want performance? Get on a track in a real race car.

In every other case, get an automatic.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to see a list of skills that are as ubiquitous and as easy to learn as driving a stick. What are your examples of things I'd spend 100% of my time learning for free? Calligraphy? Proper bowing? Downward-facing-dog? How to neg girls, lowering their self-esteem enough to sleep with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly how easy was learning to drive stick to you? I'm guessing you found it much easier than most. Also, ubiquitous? I could easily see anyone going through life without ever needing to drive a stick without it being any inconvenience.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do they not know the joy of downshifting to pass some slow wanker, getting thrown back in your seat and hearing the tires chirp as you shift up and leave them in your rearview mirror?

[/ QUOTE ]Do you not know that all automatics will automatically downshift for you if you floor the gas pedal? Do you not know that most automatics have a little stick that lets you select another gear, if you so desire?

The situation you describe is not a situation where an automatic is quicker than a manual. A manual is quicker only in corners, because you can downshift before the curve, instead of after the curve like you would in an automatic.

(FWIW, I actually have a manual as my daily driver. It's more fun and I'm used to it, since I've been driving a manual most of my adult life (Of the 5 cars I've owned, 4 have been manual). But I'm shocked at the militant anti-automatic in this thread.)
Old 11-22-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being militantly anti-automatic is a lot more queer than getting a fast car with an automatic tranny, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's more manly:

* "Yeah, I bought an automatic. You got a problem with that [censored]?"

* "I can't get an automatic or Billy will make fun of me."
Old 11-22-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do they not know the joy of downshifting to pass some slow wanker, getting thrown back in your seat and hearing the tires chirp as you shift up and leave them in your rearview mirror?

[/ QUOTE ]Do you not know that all automatics will automatically downshift for you if you floor the gas pedal? Do you not know that most automatics have a little stick that lets you select another gear, if you so desire?

The situation you describe is not a situation where an automatic is quicker than a manual. A manual is quicker only in corners, because you can downshift before the curve, instead of after the curve like you would in an automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he knows that autos downshift. But it doesn't feel the same as shifting yourself. There's nothing wrong with driving automatics, but for most people a stick is more fun.
And it has nothing to do with racing on public roads or whatever that other guy was trying to say. 99% of the time whether you drive a performance car or a grocery getter, you won't be driving it hard or using its high performance potential. But ordinary daily driving is more enjoyable with a stick, at least to me.

I personally am not at all bothered about driving a stick in traffic or on hilly streets, but I can see how other people might find it cumbersome.

Obviously, most people do not enjoy a stick enough to have one over the convenience of an automatic. About 2/3 of new Corvettes, the pre-eminent American sports car, come with an automatic.