Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: College Football Rank \'em --- Week 8

[ QUOTE ]
1. Ohio State (offense far from great)
2. Arizona State (Cal, Oregon, USC coming up)
3. Boston College ( #3 by default, plays VT next thursday)
4. LSU (another close game)
5. Oklahoma (unimpressive today)
6. Oregon (giving up too many points)
7. Kansas (finally got to see them today, interesting team)
8. Virginia Tech (can't wait till thursday!)
9. USC (not dead yet)
10. Missouri (blasted texas tech)
11. West Virginia
12. Auburn
13. Florida
14. Kentucky
15. Cal
16. South Florida (no respect for new kids on block)
17. South carolina (up and down)
18. Virginia
19. Connecticut
20. Rutgers
21. Georgia
(forgot Texas)
22. Michigan
23. Georgia Tech
24. Clemson
25. Purdue
26. Maryland
27. Penn State

[/ QUOTE ]

Michigan is not worse than 6 SEC teams. They had 2 terrible games while their young defense started the season. At this point, with Hart and Henne healthy, which it appears they will be by the time they need them, it's pretty terrible having them at 22.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Michigan is not worse than 6 SEC teams. They had 2 terrible games while their young defense started the season. At this point, with Hart and Henne healthy, which it appears they will be by the time they need them, it's pretty terrible having them at 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have Michigan ahead of Georgia at #20, but still #22 is far from ridiculous. They've looked great the last two weeks, but you have to look at the whole season. They lost to App State, got pounded by Oregon (31 points, remember?), trailed Northwestern in the 4th quarter and played a close game with 2-6 Eastern Michigan.

When your best wins are over two fringe Top 30 teams, you've got two close wins against teams outside the Top 70, and you've got a loss to a I-AA team, it's hard to say you deserve much better than the 20-25 range.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have Michigan ahead of Georgia at #20, but still #22 is far from ridiculous. They've looked great the last two weeks, but you have to look at the whole season. They lost to App State, got pounded by Oregon (31 points, remember?), trailed Northwestern in the 4th quarter and played a close game with 2-6 Eastern Michigan.

When your best wins are over two fringe Top 30 teams, you've got two close wins against teams outside the Top 70, and you've got a loss to a I-AA team, it's hard to say you deserve much better than the 20-25 range.

[/ QUOTE ]

ASU is one thing, but Oregon is really, really good
Old 10-21-2007, 04:00 AM

Yeah, I know Oregon's really good but losing to anyone by 31 points at home is terrible. I still refuse to put VT higher than #15 because of the LSU game where they lost by 41 even though LSU's better than Oregon is.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

10. Arizona State (also overrated, their best win is a home game vs. Colorado)

[/ QUOTE ]

i expect them to lose a game maybe 2

but all their wins were solid except the washington st game

they might be for real

Sep 1 San Jose St. Won 45-3
Sep 8 Colorado Won 33-14
Sep 15 San Diego St. Won 34-13
Sep 22 Oregon St. Won 44-32
Sep 29 @Stanford Won 41-3
Oct 6 @Washington St. Won 23-20
Oct 13 Washington Won 44-20
Old 10-21-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This begs the question of what rankings are measuring. In my opinion by this point in the season (and certainly by the end of the season) they're measuring a team's body of work, not how good the team "looks" when you watch them on TV. Michigan looks better than some of the teams above them but the loss to App. St. sticks out like a sore thumb on their resume and they're still getting punished severely for it.

Edit: As far as blowouts go I don't look at a 35-point loss as being much worse than an 18-point loss because once a game gets out of hand, teams stop taking it seriously and it stops being a good measuring stick. I don't blame people who want to punish Virginia Tech more for that loss than I am though.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:35 AM

2007 Ohio State is the worst number one team since 2006 Ohio State.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ASU is one thing, but Oregon is really, really good

[/ QUOTE ]
no defense
Old 10-21-2007, 06:41 AM

i guess you have to rank ASU high b/c of the record but trust me this team isn't that good. they can enjoy the high rank for all of one week maybe two. wait till cal, @ oregon, @ ucla and usc, coincidently all of their remaining schedule minus the last game against arizona. i predict they win one maybe two out of that 4.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess you have to rank ASU high b/c of the record but trust me this team isn't that good. they can enjoy the high rank for all of one week maybe two. wait till cal, @ oregon, @ ucla and usc, coincidently all of their remaining schedule minus the last game against arizona. i predict they win one maybe two out of that 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think #10's fair for now. The narrow escape against WSU in one of their only two road games (other was against Stanford) is a huge red flag and the wins against Colorado and Oregon State aren't exactly blowing me away either.

All I can say is that they better beat Cal at home, because otherwise they're looking at 8-4 or maybe even 7-5. Not that they couldn't make a run if they do beat Cal, but this is the easiest game on their schedule til the finale so they really need a win.