Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: New York Knicks \'07-\'08 playoffs or Busto thread

[ QUOTE ]
imo, crawford has awful shot selection, but it's nice to see the assist numbers

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Last year I would agree with you but in the first and 3rd games, I saw him taking it to the basket and getting 5 footers or getting fouled. He is a 90%+ free throw shooting and has decent body control so he gets fouled a lot, especially since if you blow on him he falls over like a rag doll.

In the second game it looked like he was taking bad shots but he was "in the zone" and was making a lot of them. I know the in the zone thing is BS but his shot selection seems to be much better this year.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 PM

Crawford is always going to take SOME bad shots in a game - I dont think that will ever completely dissapear. But so far this season (albeit only 3 games) he seems to be playing as under control as ever (i.e. not dribbling for 20 seconds and launching some ridiculous 21 ft jumper).

He is averaging 24pts, 7 assists on 47% FG through 3 games...I'll take that all day every day
Old 11-08-2007, 08:11 AM

"He is averaging 24pts, 7 assists on 47% FG through 3 games...I'll take that all day every day"

lousy, imo.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
imo, crawford has awful shot selection, but it's nice to see the assist numbers

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Last year I would agree with you but in the first and 3rd games, I saw him taking it to the basket and getting 5 footers or getting fouled. He is a 90%+ free throw shooting and has decent body control so he gets fouled a lot, especially since if you blow on him he falls over like a rag doll.

In the second game it looked like he was taking bad shots but he was "in the zone" and was making a lot of them. I know the in the zone thing is BS but his shot selection seems to be much better this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know what you mean by it being BS, but I definitely disagree. There are most definitely times in which you simply feel as if you can't miss and ANYTHING is a good shot. It isn't all that often though, so if you're seeing Crawford shooting as if he were in the zone often then yeah I'd agree with you that he has to cut down on that.

100,803 and counting
Old 11-08-2007, 09:14 AM

oh, it's not too hard to see when crawford thinks he's in the zone, it's like he thinks it's 1 on 1 or something...

true, maybe i'm still biased coz some of the stuff he hoisted last year was nuts, but i'll admit this year is better and he can get to the rim, which is a huge bonus for his FT and getting others involved...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't know what you mean by it being BS, but I definitely disagree. There are most definitely times in which you simply feel as if you can't miss and ANYTHING is a good shot. It isn't all that often though, so if you're seeing Crawford shooting as if he were in the zone often then yeah I'd agree with you that he has to cut down on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assani,

I'm somewhat on your side here, but what he's referring to is this, and since this was done awhile ago, maybe there were more followups. FWIW the study's author played frequently in pickup games around campus.

http://www.psych.cornell.edu/sec/pub...ne.Tversky.pdf
Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assani,

I'm somewhat on your side here, but what he's referring to is this, and since this was done awhile ago, maybe there were more followups. FWIW the study's author played frequently in pickup games around campus.

http://www.psych.cornell.edu/sec/pub...ne.Tversky.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's the study I was referring to. I'm still somewhat skeptical about it myself but since the more I learn about sports the more it seems I should mistrust my perceptions so I'm willing to go with that guy's view until I see some actual non anecdotal proof to the contrary.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM

i miss allan houston [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 PM

Wow...is it really worth my time to read all that? I'm intruiged, but its very long.

I'll admit that I could just have selective memory, but out of the times in which I've been "in the zone" and felt as if "just get me an open look and its going in" I swear that I shoot 80+% during that time, and I'm obviously nowhere close to that overall.

100,701.4320848290208438492978294792 and counting
Old 11-08-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow...is it really worth my time to read all that? I'm intruiged, but its very long.

I'll admit that I could just have selective memory, but out of the times in which I've been "in the zone" and felt as if "just get me an open look and its going in" I swear that I shoot 80+% during that time, and I'm obviously nowhere close to that overall.

100,701.4320848290208438492978294792 and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to read it if you don't want. Basically it says that being in the zone is a fallacy and offers pretty compelling evidence to back it up based on statistics. It is a similar situation to running hot or cold in poker.

Personally, I've experienced the same thing as you where I'm on fire but it seems to be that if you play enough basketball you're gonna have hot and cold shooting nights just based on variance. It isn't like you are trying any harder to make a shot at different times.