Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Fall \'07 Movie Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Why is the assumption that achieving a doctorate from an American university, getting married, etc. the best way of life? Assuming this person could have lived a life in his home country w/o his family's death, is the American way of life really so much better than his?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to imply that the American way of life is the ideal. I was just using his (my professor's)life experience as a view from the "have-nots" perspective and that it isn't uncommon for many people in the U.S. to take some things for granted and be praised for it.

Again, not specifically commenting on the ITW character as I didn't know him personally and have yet to see the movie but if someone I loved and cared about just disappeared and removed themselves from society without any consideration for their loved ones then I would view that as a somewhat selfish act. If you have some sort of ideology that drives you to leave your friends and family and go live in an Astrovan then that's your perogative. It IS your life, but whether we like it or not our lives affect other people's lives as well.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't comment on Into the Wild because I haven't seen it. But I would view someone like the main character as being spoiled, pretentious and selfish. (assuming they didn't come from an abusive home or w/e.)There are millions of people in third world countries that struggle every day in hopes of one day maybe having half of the things that many of these disillusioned "nomads" have in their lives. Yet we will never hear of most of their stories. One of my professors had his whole family massacred when he was a child in Rwanda. He made his way to the U.S., got a phd in linguistics and ethnic studies, got married etc. Unfortunately no one will probably ever write a book about his plight. More often than not we'll see books/movies that come out romanticizing the course that the Into the Wild character took instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the assumption that achieving a doctorate from an American university, getting married, etc. the best way of life? Assuming this person could have lived a life in his home country w/o his family's death, is the American way of life really so much better than his?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sean Penn was way to attached to the story n character overall n made up a bunch of stuff which was over the top...but overall its a solid film
even if the kid was a naive idiot
Old 10-08-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to imply that the American way of life is the ideal. I was just using his (my professor's)life experience as a view from the "have-nots" perspective and that it isn't uncommon for many people in the U.S. to take some things for granted and be praised for it.

Again, not specifically commenting on the ITW character as I didn't know him personally and have yet to see the movie but if someone I loved and cared about just disappeared and removed themselves from society without any consideration for their loved ones then I would view that as a somewhat selfish act. If you have some sort of ideology that drives you to leave your friends and family and go live in an Astrovan then that's your perogative. It IS your life, but whether we like it or not our lives affect other people's lives as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I agree completely with what you say here BTW.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 AM

i dont think i would use the word selfish(at least how he is portrayed). i would say young, naive idealist is more accurate.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 AM

saw Michael Clayton tonight...it was very good.
It drags a touch in like two places but overall fantastic performances from everyone involved and the final sequence/showdown is terrific...people were cheering in the theater. Also has a wow death scene in it.

Very well done given it was Tony Gilroys rookie debut as a director.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:39 AM

Anyone have a review on Across the Universe?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
saw Michael Clayton tonight...it was very good.
It drags a touch in like two places but overall fantastic performances from everyone involved and the final sequence/showdown is terrific...people were cheering in the theater. Also has a wow death scene in it.

Very well done given it was Tony Gilroys rookie debut as a director.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. I assumed Gilroy wrote the movie for Clooney since he was great it in, but that wasn't the case. He had a really hard time getting the movie made with him as director, it kicked around for 4-5 years. Clooney originally became involved as he wanted to direct it and refused to take a meeting with Gilroy about acting in it but eventually came around.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 PM

Guys,

Help me pick what film to watch tomorrow. Normally we watch some trashy horror, so, Halloween or Disturbia?

Or do we go for a 'better' film like Michael Clayton? The Kingdom?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:47 PM

Alright never mind, I've decided it's gonna be Michael Clayton!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:51 PM

Disturbia is pg13 horror. Its an Ok film to see with a girl, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.